Self-Reflection

Due: Tuesday, 20 August 2024, 11:59 PM
Post replies: 1

Self-Reflection

Number of replies: 208

Here are questions you can reflect on and share with your team:

Briefly answer the question: What are my hopes, fears and expectations in this course? How do I plan to achieve what I hope for, and conquer my fears?

You may comment on your classmates' posts.

In reply to First post

Re: Self-Reflection

by Ani Laya Estopace -
It makes sense that as a freshman, I made a lot of errors throughout my First Nursing Foundations experience. I aim to learn from those many errors as a sophomore taking Nursing Foundations II and become more diligent in completing my tasks and comprehending the contents of such an important subject. As with my first year of nursing school, I anticipate that this course will help me refine my skills and knowledge as a future registered nurse. I expect that the knowledge and abilities I will gain will be applicable to my future nursing career. But aspirations can only take one so far. In order to completely fulfill my potential as a nursing student, I intend to overcome my fears of exams and reach my goals by thoroughly studying the material and going above and beyond in my review, building the confidence in my memory and retaining concepts, then maybe I can see the progress that I sought out for.
In reply to Ani Laya Estopace

by Jiliane Frances Padua -

Hi, Ani! I share the same fears and aspirations as you, most especially in terms of bettering my knowledge and skills as a future nurse. I do hope we both get what we hope for and continue apply our plans to achieve our aspirations. 🤍

In reply to First post

by Shiela Maye Balasta -
Nursing Foundations II is the course I am most excited about due to the continuation of patient care applied in hospital settings, particularly in PGH where the demographics of people vary. I plan to improve my skills despite my lingering fear that I have yet to do my best in Nursing Foundations. On top of that, this course will allow me to enhance my critical thinking skills beyond the theoretical exams. To achieve my goal, I plan to stay on top of all the lessons because falling behind is an impediment that I could avoid. Although I will always have my doubts and fears in different forms, I should always attend to my obligations. As the saying goes: “Do it tired.”
In reply to Shiela Maye Balasta

by Zynna Vien Datorin -
Hi Shiela! I share the same excitement and fears with you regarding the upcoming clinical duties as we have more things to learn and explore. I hope we all grow together as a class, overcome our fears, and improve and hone our skills to be the competent nurses UPCN wants us to be. Padayon!
In reply to Shiela Maye Balasta

by Eron Martin Zabayle -

Thankss Shiela for reminding us that we should attend to iur obligations. This really speaks our values as student nurses. 

In reply to First post

by Colleen Ysabel Dy -

I hope to and expect to learn a lot in this course and enhance my nursing knowledge and experience to better serve patients with the highest quality. Moreover, I hope to enhance my character and develop as a person while overcoming various challenges in this subject. I do fear, of course, the workload that is to come. However, I hope to still be able to remain balanced and to manage my time wisely. Lastly, I plan to achieve what I hope for by studying hard and staying resilient in my studies.

In reply to Colleen Ysabel Dy

by Niñaflor Angeline Corpuz -
Hello Colleen! I appreciate how you think of how your performance may affect your future patients. I, too, have worries but staying resilient and focused can help us provide the highest quality of nursing care. I know we can do this!!
In reply to Colleen Ysabel Dy

by Patricia Lee Chan -

Hello, Colleen! Studying hard and performing well with the goal of providing patients with the highest quality care is a great motto to remember in times of difficulty in this course! I plan to adopt that mindset for myself in my studies, thank you!

In reply to First post

by Eron Martin Zabayle -
Having a founding knowledge acquired from N10, I expect this course to be more complex yet more interesting. It is observable how the level of difficulty of nursing courses increases every year, so I have prepared myself to find multiple challenges along the way that will push my potential to its limits and be able to develop new skills and expertise. I yearn for this course to be a tool that will train me to become a competent nurse as we have our clinical duties. I also desire to meet other opportunities within nursing through the help of this course and witness how nursing truly is an art. However, despite these desires and expectations, what I am afraid to happen is to feel the feeling of burnout. Although I know it is normal for human beings, I fear that burnout might consume me and control my plans and goals away from being the competent nurse that I want.

Moreover, I plan to always put in my heart the core values of UPCN. Embodying these principles as a student nurse will constantly remind us of our very purpose as care providers. Aside from this, I will wholeheartedly commit myself to this course to ensure that the skills and competencies that I will be learning from this course will translate to every patient-nurse interaction I will encounter.
In reply to Eron Martin Zabayle

by Shiela Maye Balasta -
I agree with you, Eron that burnout might consume us all. This is why we should make room for the hobbies we enjoy for a holistic learning experience at UPCN.

by Sandylene Orpilla -
Hello, Eron! Indeed, we should never forget to put the core values of UPCN in our hearts as we provide patient-centered care to our patients; these will serve as a reminder of why we are doing this in the first place. I'm rooting for you and your aspirations this semester!

by Maria Carmela Sityar -
I do share the same sentiment about burnout, Eron. We all aim to be that competent student nurse we want our patients to have but it is hard to keep ourselves standing on the ground as weakness sometimes make us less capable. But indeed, we have a purpose, and that is why we are still here and aim to be more. Let us do our best always, for us and our patients, friend!

Hi, Eron! I share the same sentiments, especially the fear of burnout, especially when this controls us during our clinical duty and become a barrier to achieving the health of the patients. However, I also agree with you that it all comes down to realizing our purpose and the reason why we chose this profession in the first place!
In reply to First post

by Gerica Mae Lim -
In this N11 course, I expect to expand my knowledge and skills in patient care through mastering more advanced techniques, building on the foundational health promotion strategies I've already acquired. I expect to gain a deeper understanding of patient care methods that extend beyond my current capabilities. I hope to thoroughly enjoy the learning process, confident that the knowledge and skills I acquire will enhance my abilities as a student nurse and, ultimately, improve the quality of care I provide to my future patients.

While I am eager to deepen my understanding in this course, I am also aware of the challenges that may arise as I transition from N10 to N11, particularly in learning more advanced concepts and skills. I fear that this adjustment may be difficult, but I am committed to ensuring that I fully absorb the necessary skills and knowledge being taught. To support this goal, I plan to manage my time more wisely and adopt a more disciplined approach to my studies. By maintaining focus and dedicating myself to learning new techniques, I believe I can overcome my concerns, build confidence, and effectively apply what I've learned in practice.
In reply to First post

Hopes. To head-on traverse the challenges of N11 is definitely rooted on my personal motivations and hopes. As a 2nd year student nurse, I really hope that I can pick up where I left off from N10 and ultimately nurture my skills and techniques in providing patient-centered care. I hope that I can confidently read and administer medications, fluids, catheters, and even tubes so that my capacity to help my patients achieve optimal health becomes more diverse.

Fears. In any course I take, I fear of getting failing grades. However, a small pool of negative thoughts tickles the back of my mind—“paano kung mamali-mali ako? paano na pasyente ko? dapat ba akong maging nurse ‘pag ganon?” I fear of failure and making mistakes not solely for the fact that my transcript would be affected. This fear somehow anchors itself by the fact that the lives of my patients are on my shoulders, considering that we will now tackle much more complex procedures and interventions.

Expectations. I expect that passing N11 won’t be easy, but it doesn’t mean it is out of reach. My expectations mostly centers on how I would like to imagine myself in the area—competently providing complex interventions for my future clients. I expect that I would complete another part of an incomplete puzzle, having to apply N11’s competencies in our clinical duty.

I plan on achieving what I hope for by increasing my effort this semester. Now that I know what to expect in UPCN, I plan on going outside of my comfort zone and try different study techniques in order to retain and eventually apply the concepts I have been taught. I also want to believe in myself more, because I’ve witnessed firsthand how my personal doubts limit my abilities. In this manner, I can conquer my fears in studying this course.
In reply to Niñaflor Angeline Corpuz

by Eron Martin Zabayle -

Hiii Nyappps!!! I admire that you focuses more on how your competencies will benefit and nurture the patients. It is very selfless of you to really put your patients first. I hope that you will flourish more as a student nurse and that coming out of your comfort zone will make you the the nurse that you aspire to be!

by Sandylene Orpilla -
Hello, Nyaps! I resonate with your expectation that passing N11 (or any course in this degree program) will never be easy, but it doesn't mean that it is out of our attainment. Difficult things are not inherently unattainable since they are intended to push our boundaries and encourage us to move beyond our comfort zones. I'm cheering you on to accomplish your goals for this semester!

Well said, your fears are also mine. But what I resonated the most in your thoughts is that we stopped looking into "failures = bad grades". We are starting to work hard not to be the best in class, but to give our best in patient care. I am with you always, Nyaps!
In reply to First post

by Nixie Skyler See -

Despite surviving the nursing subjects during our freshmen year and somehow being equipped with some of the foundational skills and knowledge, I still do believe that there’s still more to learn and a lot of room to grow, to be better than what I was, when I was a first-year nursing student!

With that, my hopes in this course is, of course, to acquire more knowledge and unleash new skills, especially those that I don’t know that I’m capable of. In terms of my fears in this course, that would be the clinical application of everything we’ve learned (which is mixed with a bit of excitement) since it feels like we only have one shot in doing everything because we start to deal with real patients again, so stakes are already high and there’s really no room for error. As for my expectations, I expect that this course would be able to serve as a helping tool for me to become an efficient student nurse, of course, along with my personal effort. 

To achieve what I hope for, I would dedicate a lot of time for studying and understanding the important concepts, theories, etc., and for practicing the necessary skills, even outside the four corners of the classroom. To conquer my fears, I believe that by acknowledging my weaknesses as a student nurse is important for me to be able to pinpoint what areas should I practice more on, therefore being able to gain more confidence in patient care and interaction during clinicals.

In reply to Nixie Skyler See

by Kianna Marie Torrefiel -

Hello, Nixie! 

I couldn’t agree more with your statement, especially when you mentioned the discovery of capabilities that you weren’t even aware of initially. We also share the same fears of making mistakes for it is undeniable that clinical duties allow no room for error as we try our best to improve our patients’ health statuses. Despite that, I am confident that we will be able to overcome these worries as we slowly build up our skills and knowledge in providing quality care to our patients. 

I look forward to making our N11 (and UPCN) journey worthwhile with you around! ❤️

In reply to First post

by Julian Thomas Llantero -

In entering this course, I hope to further strengthen and build my fundamentals in nursing practice. Once I complete this course, I hope that I have gained the knowledge and skills that I need to take my patient care a level higher. However, this also comes with the fear of not meeting the expectations that I have set for myself and the anxiety that comes with the responsibility of taking care of a real patient. But despite these, I'm sure that through doing my best, focusing on learning, and continually seeking to gain new knowledge, I'll be able to gain the confidence that I need to achieve these goals and provide the best care to my patients. 

In reply to Julian Thomas Llantero

by Erin Brianna Lemi -
I agree with you Julian! Providing the best care to patients is definitely one of the things I'm hopeful for in this course. Although this comes with high expectations, we will be able to conquer the anxiety and hardships!
In reply to First post

by Matt Jedi Young -
I envision this course to deepen my understanding of what I learned in n10 in hopes of familiarizing myself with the rigor and hard work required to truly play the part of a nurse in this community not just in theory, but also in practice. However, I realized that the path ahead would likely be challenging, with a learning curve getting steeper and steeper, I fear that this will hinder me from ensuring my vision comes to life. Hence, in order to conquer my fears and meet my expectations, I would have to increase my efforts by committing to strive for best, pushing past past limits to nurture growth no matter the hurdle. This would mean spending time and effort to truly mastering the craft through research, resources, and support from my peers. I would be able to stay head-strong, resourceful, and adaptable, a force nothing like before.
In reply to First post

by Aiah Ezra Ubando -
Advancing and being able to proceed in a more challenging nursing course makes me feel ecstatic to learn more about patient care. I do hope to learn a lot both theoretically and practice-wise. Various medications and new techniques will be introduced, it is a must for me to perform and administer them well. Aside from this, more skills and knowledge will be taught and I do hope that I can absorb them to the best of my abilities. Indeed, what I experienced last academic year would be my foundation to grasp this course. Still, I feel a bit anxious to take the next step as I don't want to make a sense of failure to my patients. I will not deny the doubts that haunt me but, my determination and passion still outweighs them all. Moreover, even though my fear is apparent, this only drives me to be better and do better. I plan to manage my time wisely, and efficiently to gain utmost confidence in dealing with tasks this course imparts. Being present and focused is also one of my priorities during this semester as I aim to be a student nurse who engages well with patients while being filled in with sufficient skill and knowledge.
In reply to Aiah Ezra Ubando

by Ma Veronica Lagadi -
Hi, Aiah!

Similar to what you have imparted, I also hope to learn more efficiently in terms of theoretical and clinical experiences. I agree that we should turn our fears into inspirations for us to become not just better, but also the best. Indeed, effective and realistic time management is the key. We can do this, Aiah!

by Alliah Capuno -
We share the same fear, Aiah. But I guess our fear of failing our patients stems from our deep desire to serve them to the best of our abilities. Let's try our best to overcome this together with the class!

by Austine Angeline Paraiso -

I totally echo the same feelings as you, Aiah! Truly, being in this higher level course comes with higher level of anxiety, given the new obstacles that we may encounter. I also agree that managing our time well would help us become more efficient in this course, and I think that I, especially, need to do that too! Let’s be better together and hope for the best this year! <3

by Edward Tan -
Indeed, Aia. The UPCN BS Nursing program's curriculum is designed to guide us in taking not overly large or small steps, but optimal ones toward becoming competent nurses. This is curriculum theory and praxis in action. I also appreciate that you acknowledged your fears and shortcomings as a student nurse. It is a virtue every student must possess, as failing to do so prevents us from continuously learning what we do not yet know.

by Keith Jacob Villaruel -
As you have shared, Aiah, I applaud you for keeping a positive mindset to improve yourself despite being anxious. Continue fueling yourself to improve with your passion and determination.
In reply to First post

by Hanna Kae Loquias -
Nursing Foundations II represents a pivotal moment in my journey to becoming a skilled and compassionate nurse. Building upon the knowledge from the N10 course, this new chapter is an opportunity to deepen my expertise and cultivate the qualities essential for a successful nursing career. I approach this course with a blend of hope and expectations for myself to do better than the last despite the challenging and demanding schedule that this course entails. I sincerely hope that I can achieve proficiency and manifest the necessary abilities and qualifications as an aspiring nurse knowing that the path this subject lies ahead is both challenging and rewarding.

However, my confidence wavers as I reflect on the weight of this responsibility. I worry about living up to the promises I’ve made to myself and to those I hope to care for. Despite my determination and hard work, I sometimes doubt my ability to rise to the occasion, questioning if I can overcome the gaps in my skills and knowledge. Yet, amid these concerns, I am inspired by a quote from Roy T. Bennett: “Fear robs you of your freedom to make the right choice in life that can bridge the gap between where you are and where you want to be. On the other side of fear lies freedom. If you want to grow, you need to be brave and take risks. If you’re not uncomfortable, you’re not growing.”

This quote resonates deeply with me, especially during moments of doubt. It reminds me that growth often requires stepping out of my comfort zone. While it’s easy to find solace in the familiar, true progress lies beyond those boundaries. I have realized that staying in my comfort zone might feel safe, but it often prevents me from embracing the opportunities that could lead to significant personal and professional growth.

As I embark on this course, I recognize that it will push me beyond my comfort zone and challenge me to confront my fears. I am committed to setting high standards for myself and approaching my studies with both strategic effort and self-belief. By assessing my strengths and weaknesses, I can diagnose the problems that hinders my effective learning. With this, I can tailor my approach to learning, ensuring that I make the most of this opportunity. I plan to create a practical, achievable plan to enhance my study habits and implement this practice into my daily routine. By evaluating my progress regularly, I will refine my methods to improve my performance continually. I believe that this 5 nursing processes can also be applied to certain situations in my life as it is proven to be helpful in providing effective solutions to my problems.

The journey ahead is both daunting and exhilarating. I shall conquer my fears with courage and resilience, knowing that the skills and experiences I gain will be invaluable in my future career. My greatest fear is not the difficulties of this course, but the possibility of falling short of my potential to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. By embracing this discomfort and pushing through my fears, I am taking the necessary steps to grow and succeed in this noble profession.
In reply to Hanna Kae Loquias

by Jasmine Chloe Misola -

Hello, Hanna!

Thank you for the beautiful quote that you shared, which inspired me too. I also share the same worries with you, as what we learn here at the university is not just a mere set of requirements to pass but skills to master in order to be of help to others. I also agree that learning happens beyond our comfort zone. It may be scary at first, but I know that as we do our best and live up to our potential, we can refine our capabilities and ourselves more. Good luck in our first semester!

In reply to Hanna Kae Loquias

by Rayne Renzo Barenque -

Hello Hanna!

I enjoyed reading your reflection, and I'm sharing the same fear that you have. I love that you shared a quote from Bennett, and I resonated a lot with the message. It's really true that our fears can become a great hindrance to discovering our full potential if we continue to contain ourselves in our comfort zone and not embrace the possibilities of committing mistakes and learning from them. It also reminded me that "mistakes are often the best teachers." I also liked the fact that you see the applicability of the nursing process not only in providing health care but also in improving our lives as student nurses. Let us continue to learn from our mistakes and use our fears as our strengths in keeping us sane and making our lives more exciting and fulfilling.

I'm praying for us to achieve our life goals and to conquer all the challenges that this course will offer. Padayon! 

In reply to First post

by Jian Arthur Ganuelas -
In N11, I hope to strengthen and reinforce the knowledge and skills I have learned in N10. To do so, I would ensure that I would put in a lot of effort, immerse myself in my studies, track my progress, and manage my time effectively—which I think I lacked in N10. I expect that this course will be more demanding and complex as compared to N10, especially as we will be more involved with our patients. Thus, one of my fears is not being able to meet the competencies expected of me or even hurt my patient which I think is the worst thing I can do as a nursing student. To conquer this, I will take things one step at a time and not get too ahead of myself, for I think the best outcome will be realized when the process is appreciated.

Additionally, N10 has allowed us to experience the gist of the nursing practice in the Philippines, specifically in PGH. With this, I hope that the lessons, particularly the skills that will be taught to us, are tailored to the reality of the nursing profession in the country so that they will be applicable in the clinical duty, considering the limitations in resources and other matters.
In reply to Jian Arthur Ganuelas

by Axl Mikhail Portus -
Hi Jian, hopefully we all remember to give back in the future no matter how different our efforts maybe, especially since we do have the experience in working in these environments. It still may seem like a far future for us but with each passing subject we take, it's also a small step towards this goal.
In reply to First post

by Nicole Placido -

What are my hopes, fears, and expectations in this course? How do I plan to achieve what I hope for, and conquer my fears?

Even though I think we learned a lot from our prior experience in N10, I also think I made a lot of mistakes and could have done a better job. There are still a ton of experiences, abilities, and knowledge to acquire for my approaching N11 clinical duty in order to assist my patients in achieving their highest level of wellness.

I'm hoping that carrying out this N11 course will also help me learn new things that will improve my ability to relate to, help, and take care of my patients. But because N11 is more sophisticated and intricate than N10, I expect a lot of coffee, tears, and late nights—especially during clinical. And because N11 entails administering medication, inserting IVs, and doing other more difficult tasks, these expectations fuel my anxiety of burning out and maybe falling short of the standards I set for myself. What worries me the most is the possibility of making a mistake in these areas that could have a negative impact on people's lives. Sometimes, the weight of my responsibilities as a student nurse still pesters at the back of my mind. I pledge myself that I won't let myself or my patients down because of this. 

To attain my goals and face my worries, I'll make sure to give them the best care possible by working hard in my studies and learning the concepts and applications by heart. I plan on achieving what I hope for by going outside of my comfort zone and learning how to acknowledge my weaknesses and turn them into a strength which may help in boosting my confidence in patient interaction and clinical papers.

In reply to Nicole Placido

by Lettice Jeazle Paulino -
Hi, nicole! I see that we share the same sentiment of making mistakes and I think that it's great that we are able to acknowledge these fears as I believe that these terrified feelings will drive and motivate us to work harder and exert more effort as we strive for excellence as nursing students. I'm looking forward to embarking on this semester together and improving with you!
In reply to First post

by Kasandra Ysabel Lu -

My hopes for the course involve me becoming a better and more competent person. I expect to ponder new perspectives I usually would not and broaden my horizons. Considering the amount of topics covered in the course, I am afraid I would not be able to rise to the challenges presented so in order to both gain competency and pass the challenges, I plan to try to look further into the lessons and spend more time learning. Lastly, I hope to strengthen my resiliency as I know there is a long road ahead of me.

In reply to Kasandra Ysabel Lu

by Djoharra Angelle Capili -
Hi Kassie! My advice for you is to be confident to be able to rise to these challenges. I want you to know that you're not alone and that you have friends that surround you who will also help with your resiliency.

by Mart Reynold De Leon -

Hi, Sandy! I share the same fear as you. I’m also worried that I might not be able to rise to the challenge due to the difficulty I anticipate from the course. That’s why I’m hoping to strengthen my resilience too. I hope we can learn to do that together, as camaraderie is essential to our success as future nurses.

by Rachelle Joy Cabugsa -

Hi, Kasandra! Indeed, our experiences in our first year have been truly insightful for preparing for this 2nd year, 1st semester. Let us take this chance to amend and supplement our study habits to better suit our learning styles! It is my fervent hope that you are able to strengthen your resiliency, and discover new knowledge that further enhance your clinical competencies.

In reply to First post

by Patricia Khae David -
In this Nursing Foundations II course, I hope to gain more of essential nursing skills and build confidence in my clinical abilities, especially as a former first year nursing student, our abilities were limited to health promotion and education. In achieving this, I plan to actively participate in lectures, engage and immerse myself during our laboratory activities, and seek help and feedback from my instructors as well as seniors. During this time, my main fear is making mistakes in the clinical setting and falling short of academic expectations, especially since we have more responsibilities now. Hence, more nursing skills to acquire and practice which does not happen overnight. To overcome these fears, I will adopt a learning mindset that sees mistakes as part of the growth process and improvement, practice diligently with my classmates, and use the time given to us to learn and practice. Moreover, by creating c-smart goals, incorporating a good study habit, and balancing my studies with self-care for de-stress, I aim to manage my stress while staying focused on achieving my goals in the course.
In reply to Patricia Khae David

by Serafin Marcus Bravo -

I agree with you Pat! Balance is indeed needed in order to have a smooth sailing in our not-so stressful journey to becoming a nurse. Among what you mentioned, good study habits will truly play a big role in making sure we are able to understand the lessons more accuraretely.

In reply to First post

by Jasmine Chloe Misola -

Accomplishing my first year of studies at the university is a great achievement for me. However, this is only the start in my pursuit of learning, as this new semester in my 2nd year will be eventful with opportunities to gain more competence and wisdom. 

As such, I am hoping that the N11 course will be enjoyable yet full of learning. I am hoping that we will be able to gain higher level nursing skills and expect that each of us will be given the opportunity to use many pieces of equipment that will enable us to hone our novice skills. Since studying nursing will concern the lives of others, I am worried that the more complex lessons that will be practiced in the clinicals will give me a harder time to master. Despite that, I am willing to learn and expect that the professors will be there to guide us. To achieve what I hope for, I will double my efforts in studying the concepts in this course and reading more about the topics. I will strive to manage my time better so that I will be able to keep up with the pace of the lessons and not be afraid to seek help from the professors to be adept with the set of skills needed in serving the patients, thus helping me overcome my worries.

In reply to Jasmine Chloe Misola

by Stephanie Anne Vera -
Hi Chloe!

I think your hopes for this course is nice. We also share the same fears, and have the same expectations for this course as well.

Good luck fellow batchmate!

by Hanna Kae Loquias -
What a heartwarming self-reflection Chloe! It is nice to know how much you value our course as it concern the lives of others. Your worries are an evidence that you are trying to fulfill your duties as a student nurse and shows how much you take other people's live seriously. I think that your plans to double your efforts, manage your time better, and not be afraid to seek help is an effective approach to pass this course. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that your self evaluation will help you overcome your uncertainties!

Hi Chloe!

I admire your perspective that, despite this course requiring our seriousness and our optimal performance (accuracy in performing skills with presence of mind), we still have to seek something that we can enjoy that can also serve as our inspiration. I also agree that we'll be introduced to new sets of equipment, and I know how scary the ambiguity is, but just like you mentioned, we should take it up a notch and exert more effort now so we can keep up with the advancements that the course provides. 

I hope for our success and a wonderful semester for us all! 

In reply to First post

by Marie Concepcion Soliven -
In this nursing foundations course, I hope to build my critical thinking skills and my clinical reasoning abilities and apply these more naturally at the clinical area as compared to my skills during the freshmen year. I also expect more challenging roles as a student nurse which I know will help me improve my skills and knowledge. In reference to my experiences during the first year, my main fear is the pressure that I put on myself in excelling and achieving my goals for this school year. To overcome this, I will practice a mindset that it’s okay to take my time and absorb the lessons that I learn from my mistakes. For my own growth, I will manage my time more effectively as compared to last year, seek help from my instructors and classmates, and improve the nursing skills that I acquire in every patient case, most especially if I encounter mistakes with these. With this, I will try to stay focused and committed both during the clinicals and the lecture meetings.
In reply to Marie Concepcion Soliven

Thank you for bringing up the importance of "own pacing" and "learning than dwelling from mistakes". It is nice to read that, even with the short rest/vacation we had, we were able to refresh and reset our minds to be more committed to our student nurse duties! Looking forward to working with you again, Marie!
In reply to Marie Concepcion Soliven

by Renee Ashley Calata -
Hi, Marie!

I really like this statement of yours "it's okay to take my time and absorb the lessons that I learn from my mistakes." We can learn more from our mistakes and strengthen our foundation if we give ourselves the time and space to think about our mistakes and grow. Using this strategy helps us learn new things more quickly and efficiently while also relieving some of the burden brought by those "mistakes." Thank you for your input!
In reply to First post

by Michael Edrick Del Rosario -
After one whole year in the college, I've experienced many ups and downs from each and every subject I've taken. Despite the wavy year in terms of academics, I believe that it has substantially prepared me for what is to come this 2nd year. I'm not as fearful as I was from my freshman year as I have developed my own study habits and trust in myself that I'm able to hurdle over these obstacles. Of course, I expect N11 to be nothing but challenging and I'm not too confident to take it lightly. I believe that these challenges are what builds us students from the UPCN, hence I'll gladly still approach this incoming academic year with the same fire and passion I had to begin with.
In reply to Michael Edrick Del Rosario

by Zuriel Josh Velasco -
I'm with you Michael! Let's approach this incoming academic year with passion together!
In reply to First post

by Stephanie Anne Vera -
For N11, I expect that I will be learning a lot of concepts, but this time focusing on physiological interventions. What I expect most (and quite looking forward to) is concepts/skills similar to that of injecting someone, as I often see it on TikTok where nursing students practice on each other for injections. My only hope (and wish) for this course is to pass it so that I may be able to move on to the next chapter of becoming a nurse. I also hope that this course will make me a better student, nurse, and person. At this moment, I also fear the entire course simply because everything is new again, and because we are getting closer and closer to having more responsibilities as nursing students. However, such fears, I believe, are valid. But we must not let that eat us up.

If I want to pass and become a better person after this course, then I would imagine that the only rational action towards the attainment of that goal is to study hard with integrity and respect. I want to earn my achievements by honesty, so I can proudly celebrate my wins, and I want to respect the tasks given to me so that I could acknowledge the privilege I have to be able to study such concepts. Of course, to pass this course, I must conquer my fears. And what better way is there to conquer fears than to follow what Nike says? JUST DO IT.
In reply to Stephanie Anne Vera

by Hanna Kae Loquias -
JUST DO IT, Stephanie. I agree with your thoughts. Your fears are valid but that doesn't mean that you are not courageous enough to take on and complete this course! I believe that you will succeed in your journey as you plan to study hard with integrity and respect along with honesty. I hope that you will never lose hope to conquer all your fears and always celebrate your milestones during your learning journey because these will be your bridge to success!
In reply to Stephanie Anne Vera

by Kateleen Claire Wong -
Hi Steph,

I really resonate with what you’re saying, especially the excitement about learning new skills—it’s one of those that makes us feel like we’re stepping into our roles as future nurses. I completely understand your fears about the course too; everything feels more real now as we take on more responsibilities and learn more things. You’re right—honestly earning our achievements will make passing this course even more meaningful. Let’s keep pushing forward and, like you said, just do it! Kaya natin toh!
In reply to First post

by Serafin Marcus Bravo -

As a new school year starts, a lot of things go through my mind considering that many new challenges awaits. For the most part, I hope that this course will continue the fruitful course we had last school year enabling me to become a better student nurse. I expecting that this course will equip me more skills and techniques that is more complex yer helpful to the patiens I will serve. On the other hand, the one thing that I dread the most is that I may not be able to continue the course given itsbweight and difficulty.

Still, despite these fears and concerns that I have, I have instilled in myself an excellent and reslient attitude when encountering things I am not used to or having difficulty with. Likewise, I plan on being more inquisitive and determined especially when I am confused on some stuff. I also recognize the fact that when help is needed, I will humble myself and ask nicely for it. On a final note, I plan of placing more trust and confidence on mysel and I hope the same goes for everyone in this course.

In reply to Serafin Marcus Bravo

by Patricia Khae David -
Hi, Serafin! It is understandable to have these fears. Same with you, I wish to become a better student nurse for my future patients. Also, I admire your positivity and confidence. We can do this, Serafin!
In reply to Serafin Marcus Bravo

by Zuriel Josh Velasco -
Many things may go through your mind right now, Serafin, still I'm hoping for the best with you! It's good that you have solidified your standing in what to do and how to achieve your goals. I fully support you and am willing to provide help whenever you ask for it even when you're not asking nicely. Trust!
In reply to First post

by Alliah Capuno -
Honestly, I just hope that I would do better in this course than I did in N10. Now a few months older and more experienced, I hope that this maturity allows me to appreciate the competencies more and to take a genuine interest in learning them. I believe that with this renewed perspective, I can perform better and achieve better results.

More than fearing failure, my greatest fear is the potential of endangering my future patients due to the lack of preparedness or understanding. With this fear, I expect that this course will equip me with the essential skills and knowledge necessary to handle critical situations with confidence and competence. To achieve my hopes and conquer my fears, I plan to prepare thoroughly by reading, reviewing, and practicing more diligently than I did last semester.
In reply to Alliah Capuno

by Aiah Ezra Ubando -
I share the same sentiments, Alliah! Hope that we can cultivate our knowledge and skills for the betterment of our patients.

by Ma Veronica Lagadi -
Hello, Ally! We have the same sentiments, especially with fears. The clinical experience that we had last school year was indeed an eye-opener. Nonetheless, the best thing we can do is to improve our study habits and to become more disciplined in studying. I know you can do it—I am with you in this journey!

by Edward Tan -
But what is growth, if not doing better? Right, Alliah? I am glad that your motivation is always to do more. That thirst for more sharpens your virtue, and that virtue becomes a habit—and that habit shapes your character 😉. 

I have the same perspective as you, Alliah. The experience that you have encountered in the past will help you be wiser and be more prepared for this semester.
In reply to First post

by Ayumi Bonajos -
As I follow through this course, my primary hope is to develop the competence necessary to excel both as a student and as a future nurse. I want to grow with empathy and stability, gaining the skills and knowledge that will allow me to provide the best care possible to my patients. Thus, I do expect this course to be a firm stepping stone, equipping me with the foundational tools I need to offer better service to the public. However, hand-in-hand are also fears—particularly those instances of feeling discouraged or overwhelmed, which might lead to a performance perceiving me as clumsy or unprepared.

To achieve my hopes and conquer my fears, I plan to approach this course with patience, taking things one step at a time. I will strive to embody the lessons and skills taught, gradually building my competence. By staying focused on my long-term goals and remembering that every bit of progress counts, I will work to remain motivated even when challenges arise. I believe that by balancing my dedication with a realistic, steady approach, I can overcome my fears and grow into the nurse I aspire to be.
In reply to Ayumi Bonajos

by Jeneah Mei Teñido -

Hi, Ayumi! 

I could totally relate to you having those instances of being overwhelmed and feeling demotivated. These, of course, affected my performance before negatively despite my love for interaction with the patients. 

I hope that you’ll get to enjoy our course by learning while serving our clients! 🩷

In reply to Ayumi Bonajos

by Kathleen Joy Bernardo -
Hello, Ayumi!

I like how you said that you'll take things one step at a time given that these types of activities can be overwhelming at times. I do agree that it is indeed an effective way to help us absorb and understand every detail properly instead of constantly pushing beyond our body's limits. Good luck! <333
In reply to First post

by Jeneah Mei Teñido -

As explained to us, I really look forward to more learnings for us to be prepared on a clinical setting, which is one part of the course that excites me the most despite the heavy workload. This course will help us to know more skills so that the clients will receive the utmost care we can offer. Since we will be covering a larger scope than before, I know that this could be a little hectic for me as I try to juggle different courses and their schedule, which could lead me to be exhausted or demotivated to do the tasks. But of course, I will always go back to the reason I keep on pursuing this, which is to serve the people, especially those who are less privileged. During our duty for our N10 and NSTP courses, I got to reflect on how much individuals tend to neglect what they are feeling or just let their illnesses worsen. But there were also several patients who asked more follow-up questions when we informed them regarding their vitals, and since at that time, we were limited to what information we could give them, it saddened me that we couldn’t help them any further. That is why this course excites me as I know that I’ll be able to help much more in the next clinical duty.

I know that this will be once again overwhelming and before, I tend to stop once I feel like the knowledge I have is already enough. So for this course, I will try my best to not give up when I feel tired and push myself more by reminding myself how much people I could help with learning more. With this, I just hope that I’ll become more productive and effective by managing my time better and always focus on my goal—to do better for the betterment of the client.

In reply to Jeneah Mei Teñido

by Ysabella Marie Romero -

Hi Jeneah!

Thank you for giving us a glimpse of your experience during our clinical duty. I sympathize with you as I too feel demotivated sometimes, and I agree that there really is no other way to inspire ourselves but to think of the people we will be able to help if we continue to give our all in the Nursing course. Thank you for this perspective. Let’s pass this course together!

In reply to Jeneah Mei Teñido

by Ayumi Bonajos -
Hi neah!

I could definitely see that you put service as a main priority and motivation for this course! There is indeed no further goal than being able to render quality service to patients in need of the utmost care we offer. I share the same sentiments in everything you have stated, this course may be tiring but all is worth it once we see our efforts in the patients we were able to help and care for in the clinical duties to come.

Thank you for the sincerity of this post! I look forward to spending my duty days with people wholeheartedly preparing themselves for a quality healthcare service!
In reply to First post

by Coleen Margaret Obcemea -
Being able to provide more advanced quality nursing care makes me eager to pursue Nursing Foundations II. As I continue to build upon the knowledge and skills acquired from N10, I expect that this course will be more challenging as we further discover the complexities of addressing various individual needs and providing nursing interventions. I hope to learn a lot from this course to be able to grow as a more competent student nurse and strengthen my resilience throughout the program. However, as hopeful as I want to be, problems are inevitable. Aside from my main concern of failing marks, I also fear that the cost of a mistake or an oversight is my patient’s well-being. In times like these, I hope to not let doubt and negativity outweigh my determination to continuously learn and improve. In order to achieve my goals, I plan to refine my study habits and time management, and have more confidence in myself that I can indeed do better.
In reply to Coleen Margaret Obcemea

by Sandylene Orpilla -
Hello Cole! I appreciate you mentioning the well-being of our patients as an expense of student nurse oversight. This reflects that what we strive for is compassionate, patient-centered care. I hope that you will be able to refine your study habits and time management this semester. Rooting for you!

Indeed, let us work on those doubts and negativity to be able to express pur determination more in learning and achieving our goals to be a better student nurse than what we were in N10. Chin up, Cole, we can do this!

Hello, Cole! I share the same sentiments with you, especially on the weight of how every action we make can affect the life of our patient. May we grow and show everyone what it takes to be an ISKONars :)
In reply to First post

by Jiliane Frances Padua -

Coming from the N10 (Nursing Foundations I) course, I highly expect that the N11 (Nursing Foundations II) course will be more challenging and fulfilling than the last. I look forward to learning more nursing skills and enhancing my critical thinking skills as a student nurse participating in the nursing process. I also look forward to having a more in-depth understanding of the topics discussed during the last semester, specifically the topics that are correlated with the Nursing Diagnosis. Furthermore, I look forward to enhancing my skills in terms of associating cues and assessment findings alongside the concepts taught in developing a well-thought nursing care plan tailored to the needs of the patients. However, I do fear the possibility of failing some of the laboratory skills, most especially when it comes to administering medications. I am anxious because I am aware that one tiniest mistake on computing a patient’s medicine intake may greatly harm their health which I do not want to happen. Moreover, I fear that I would fail the exams, knowing how important these exams are not just for my grades, but also gauging my competence in that specific area, which is vital in the clinical setting. 

I do hope that I will be able to provide the best care for my patients, overcome the fears and challenges I will encounter, and I will become a more efficient and effective student nurse by the end of the course. With this, I intend to reach this goal by putting my 100% effort in all tasks and activities to be done, continuously reviewing and reevaluating myself in order to better myself in the process. Additionally, to conquer my fears, I must focus on adjusting myself to what scares me the most so that it doesn’t scare me as much. With this, I also would ask for help when needed to know if I am doing what is supposed to be done especially in the areas I am anxious about.

In reply to First post

by Zynna Vien Datorin -
As I walked through the halls of UPCN again after my freshman year, I hope and expect to not make the same mistakes I did back in N10 and improve my performance in this Nursing Foundations course. Of course, I still had my fears of not knowing something I should know already and making more mistakes, yet, I plan to achieve my goals and conquer my fears in this course by becoming more disciplined, diligent, and have better time management than I did before while putting in my best effort.
In reply to Zynna Vien Datorin

by Jan Winston Karlo Lejano -
Hi, Vi! I resonate with you still having fear of failures, which is normal, and combatting it with the proper attitude and action so that we may conquer it and say that we take in charge of our fears and not the other way around. Padayon!
In reply to First post

by Kianna Marie Torrefiel -

Even though I was able to brave the storms in my freshman year, I know to myself that there are greater waves that I would have to swim through in the coming semesters of my UPCN journey. 

With all the daunting obstacles that I am yet to overcome in this course, I hope to witness a more determined and improved version of myself in all aspects — academics, behavior, and clinical duties. I also look forward to gaining more knowledge and improving on my shortcomings from the previous year. However, while I work toward my goals, all of these wishes are accompanied by fears and worries. My constant struggle to stay ahead of the curve causes me to make mistakes and fall behind. I am afraid that due to uncertainties, I would end up fatigued and burned out while trying to learn. I am also expecting that this course would be more challenging than the previous courses we had, and I look forward to the lessons we will gain as we progress. Above all, I anticipate that the course will provide me with opportunities and experiences that will shape me as an IskoNars of UPCN. 

With the core values of UP and UPCN, I intend to overcome these fears and realize my vision by reminding myself of why I chose and strived to be here: I am doing this not only for myself, but also for the Filipino people, who need quality service from students who are equipped with honor and excellence. From this semester on, I will focus on putting in twice, if not three times, as much effort and energy as I did in the past. Finally, I am continuously reminded that I have already come this far, and that even if the journey has been difficult, the road ahead is certainly worth the formidable storms and waves.

In reply to Kianna Marie Torrefiel

by Nicole Placido -
I was touched, and I understand your response. The nursing program is challenging; only those with the fortitude to see it through to the end will succeed. It's reasonable for me to dread failing, just like you do. But in the end, everything boils down to how we're going to face our worries, put our attention on enhancing ourselves, and drive ourselves toward success.
In reply to First post

by Denise Chloe Almario -
I anticipate gaining more exposure to a nurse's responsibilities in this nursing foundation course. My goal is to expand my knowledge and develop the skills essential for success in a hospital environment. I also look forward to fostering stronger connections with my peers, as these relationships will provide meaningful opportunities for shared learning. However, I am also concerned that this course will be much more challenging than the previous one, as it demands greater dedication and mastery of more advanced nursing skills. Nevertheless, I am confident that this challenging path will lead me to success, preparing me for the demands of a nursing career and helping me become a more competent and resilient nurse in the future.
In reply to Denise Chloe Almario

by Renee Ashley Calata -
Hi, Denise Chloe Almario!

I love how you plan to conquer this course with your confidence and optimistic view! Despite how challenging this course may be, by collaboration and determination, all is gonna be well. Thank you for your input! :)
In reply to Denise Chloe Almario

by Axl Mikhail Portus -

Hi Denise, I admire the confidence! hopefully we carry on through these hardships with the same confidence you are feeling right now, I'm sure that coupled with hardwork we can reach the goals we've set for the future

In reply to First post

by Bernadette Prado -
What are my hopes, fears and expectations in this course? How do I plan to achieve what I hope for, and conquer my fears?

I hope that I will be able to incorporate all my previous learnings from my past N subjects to fully grasp the concepts of this course. I somewhat fear the overwhelming content of our syllabus and activities. I fear that I might jumble up the different concepts from different lessons. I expect that I really need to put in my time, effort, and focus on this course. I plan to review old topics that I have not mastered yet so that it would be less hard for me to catch up with the lessons of this course. By reading our learning guides ahead, I can conquer my fears of going through the class without understanding the lesson.
In reply to First post

by Zuriel Josh Velasco -
In all honesty, my hopes are to be better than what I did and how I did my courses as a freshman last academic year. I'm fully hoping that this time I can deliver ahead of time, I can do better with my exams, and ultimately I'm hoping for a fresh and fulfilling experience with this course N11 and other courses I'm taking right now. Though I fear that I may be complacent at times and be burn out from the many role expectations that I have, still I hope that I persevere and may God help me.

To achieve my hope for N11 and the other courses I'm currently taking, my plan of action is to study more diligently and more completely; more than just browsing through the powerpoint and scanning the transes. I also won't take my time for granted as time is of the essence for excellence. Finally, reassure myself that my hope is not in vain and that I can still be better than yesterday.
In reply to First post

What are my hopes, fears, and expectations for this course? How do I plan to achieve what I hope for and conquer my fears?

Nursing Foundations is indeed a well-encompassing course and became one of the building blocks that gave me all the skills and experiences I need to provide patient care. It enabled us to apply the theoretical knowledge we gained inside our classroom when treating our patients during our clinical duty by providing health promotion and education interventions. Truly, doing our clinical duty in PGH as early as we were freshmen students has solidified my love and respect for my chosen profession. With this, I will bring the same amount of love and respect when taking N11. By taking this course, I expect that I'll develop more complex skills and broaden my perspective on patient care in order to advance my nursing practice. This increasing complexity also requires participation in other courses, such as pharmacology, since there will be drug administration, which I only watched before being performed by nurses in our ward, and now I'll experience firsthand. I expect that, similar to N10, all the learnings and laboratory simulations in N11 will be effective enough for me to not only succeed in my future clinical duties but also develop these important skills that I'll have to bring forward. I hope that, similar to N10, I will have a memorable clinical experience and see myself excel and grow intellectually and morally. I also hope that I'll be able to comply with the requirements on time and surpass this course and that my learning style is effective so that all the learning won't be forgotten easily.

With the expectations and hopes of advancing my knowledge and skills and passing the course, I also have my fears, one of which is to not fulfill these expectations I had for myself. I fear that I might commit mistakes, which are inevitable, and potentially hurt my patients other than alleviating their illness. I fear that these errors will lead my patients to question my competencies and abilities. I also fear that I can't keep up with the increasing complexity that this course offers. But from my perspective, having the right mentality will definitely aid me in achieving these admirations and conquering these fears. I think overthinking too much about these expectations will hinder my growth, so I must ensure that I always have the right state of mind so that I'll not be overwhelmed by these fears. I also think that having a more organized study schedule and proper time management will really help me survive this course, since, compared to my first-year experience, I know now what works for me, and this is crucial for every student. For example, I found out that having group discussions with my friends helped me with memory retention for our exams and duties. Lastly, I will constantly remind myself of the reason why I entered UPCN in the first place. I will remind myself to always embody the core values of honor, excellence, and service, and by keeping these in mind, I hope and expect to pass this course successfully.

In reply to Rayne Renzo Barenque

by Hanna Kae Loquias -
Hello Renzo!

You provided an inspiring reflection to share. I certainly agree that as student nurses, we both are fearful of committing mistakes as we are handling human lives. Good thing that you have a plan to always have the right state of mind, have a more organized study schedule and proper time management to achieve your goals. Thank you for sharing your ideas and self evaluation which reflected a positive mindset for more challenging and rewarding learning journey!

Hi Rayne! I can see that we share the same hopes and fears, it is true that mistakes are inevitable but should be avoided especially in the nursing profession. With regards to your experience, I like how you share the study tips that worked well for you. I'm hoping that you get your goals soon!:>

by Renee Ashley Calata -
Hi, Rayne!

We have similar fears towards this course. I hope we get to overcome these with resilient mindset while embodying the core values of our college. Good luck and thank you for your input! :)
In reply to First post

by Gillian Trishabelle Sabinay -

All the ups and downs, blessings and challenges, and countless experiences I have gained and gone through in the first year of my journey as a student nurse have led me to this moment as a Second Year Student at UPCN. All nursing subjects I have taken last A.Y. has equipped me with adequate knowledge that I hope to utilize in N11 and other subjects I am currently taking.  I hope that I will learn so much more about proper patient care and ways on how to be helpful in a hospital setting as a student nurse, and to have fun and enjoy while learning, especially with the line up of professors teaching the subject. Although I fear that I may be left behind in some aspects and topics despite giving my all, I believe that I am not walking this path alone. All the help that my professors and classmates will offer during the semester will truly be a great asset to becoming the student nurse I strive to become.

In reply to Gillian Trishabelle Sabinay

Hi, Gill!! I’m so amazed at how much you’ve grown and how prepared you are to take on this new chapter as a second-year student at UPCN. I know the fear of falling behind can be overwhelming, but don’t forget—you’ve got this! You’re not walking this path alone; we, your friends, are right here to support you. We’re all in this together, and we’ll help each other through the rough patches. Let’s keep giving it our all, stay curious, and enjoy the ride. You’re going to be an incredible student nurse, and I’m absolutely sure of it. Love love!
In reply to First post

by John Michael Bondoc -
I hope and expect this course to be fun as N10. I had so much fun in N10 last year especially during duty season and I hope that I get to learn more about my patients as well as apply the things I have learned during lectures to help my patients get better. However, I also fear that I might get overwhelmed with the amount of concepts and skills that I have to learn and master. With N11 being more advanced than N10, I fear that I will commit mistakes especially when handling patients in the future. With this, I plan to study harder and double my effort in learning, honing and mastering the concepts that I will learn in this course. With this, I hope that at the end of this course, I will become a better individual as well as become an even more competent student nurse.
In reply to First post

by Axl Mikhail Portus -
It may seem shallow that I expect and hope to pass the course and I fear my failure, but I think deep inside this remains to be the deepest desire that I want and a general goal to hold on to as a sort of small goal and inspiration for me this semester. On a deeper level, I am quite hopeful that this lays the groundwork for my future expeditions both while studying and in the future. I do expect that it will get harder as you start to deal with more complex cases and difficult situations that may face me. As of late, I'm faced with the realizations on how fulfilling this line of work is and I hope to deepen this relationship as I further progress in the curriculum and this subject. This year, I expect to use what I've learned from the past, stay true to the study techniques that have worked for me in my previous courses, and to actually put in the work no matter what comes ahead me as I know that all my hard work won't be for nothing and they will eventually pay off, and in the case where I don't know what to do, I intend to stay calm and reassess with myself first before losing my composure.
In reply to Axl Mikhail Portus

Hello, Axl! I love how you’re looking at this semester as a foundation for your future, and your readiness to tackle more complex cases is a testament to your commitment. I believe in you and your ability to overcome any obstacles that come your way. Keep up the great work—you’ve got an exciting journey ahead, and I’m right here cheering you on through every moment! Go gurl!
In reply to Axl Mikhail Portus

by Erica Ann Palermo -
Good day, Axl!

I concur with you that with our experiences in this program, it indeed is fulfilling. With your thoughts, I was somehow reminded of the butterfly effect wherein one small action that we do today can have far-reaching results. Moreover, as we are all human and will inevitably make mistakes, especially when trying something new, it is important for us to recognise our shortcomings and work towards improving as student nurses. As they say, difficulties may arise but a bad day doesn't mean a bad year. Lastly, I admire your dedication in order to create a change and betterment for yourself and others.
In reply to First post

As a student, I am hoping to improve in my academics, and fear of failing of course. However, as a Nursing student, I am hoping to reach as many people as I can, to help improve their quality of life through spreading knowledge as this course is the extension of health education for the patients. I am expecting challenges throughout this course not only on examinations but also in taking care of the patients. I fear to make a mistake or forget things that would cause harm to clients. I'm planning to achieve my goals and hopes through focusing on the course and not on the distractions around me. Another is to also rest and take care of myself because exhaustion is a huge factor that causes mistakes and harm to self and others. This is also a great advice to my peers, is to don't forget to take care of yourselves, because how could you take care of others if you don't take care of yourself. Thank you.
In reply to Djoharra Angelle Capili

by Kasandra Ysabel Lu -

Hi Djo! You and I share a similar fear of accidentally harming a patient. Additionally, I resonate deeply with your plan of resting and self-care as it is often forgotten. The exhaustion not only may lead to mistakes but also burnout. Thank you for the advice.

I agree with your point, Djoharra. Taking care of ourselves is crucial in facing these challenges because we won’t be able to show up if we’re tired and stressed out. It’s interesting how this relates to our first lesson on N11 about stress and coping. I hope we can develop healthy coping mechanisms that will help us power through our nursing journey. Thank you so much to your advice!

Hi, Djo! Thank you for your advice! Indeed, getting proper rest is important as well! Anxiety about making mistakes is hard to cope with, but I believe that spaced repetition and practice really help with training our mind that we know what we are doing. The experiences we accumulate provide a backbone for our future endeavors. I hope to see you flourish in this field!

In reply to First post

by Alexander Paul Tumaliuan -

Nasasabik ako na mas palawigin pa ang aking kaalaman ukol sa mga gampanin, responsibilidad, ng pagiging isang nars. Ang ilang mga inaasahan ko sa kursong ito na N11 ay mas marami pa kaming matututuhan na pangunahing kasanayan sa pag-aalaga ng pasyente. Ngunit, sa ilalim ng kasabikan na ito ay mayroong halong kaba dahil mabigat na ang mga gampanin na aming panghahawakan, dahil sa introduksyon sa mga Nursing Inverventions gaya ng pag-injection, IV therapy, pag-administer ng gamot, at iba pa.

In reply to Alexander Paul Tumaliuan

Tama ka, Apollo. Nararamdaman ko rin ang kasabikan at kaba na matutunan ang mga kasanayang iyong nabanggit. Bago pa man ako tumapak sa kursong ito, iyan ang aking inaasahang matutunan dahil nakita at narinig ko rin ang mga ito sa mga kwento at karanasang ibinahagi sa akin noon ng aking mga kaibigan na nasa mas mataas na antas ng nursing. Gayunpaman, tunay nga pa lang nakakakaba kapag ikaw na mismo ang makararanas. Sana’y matutunan at magawa natin ang mga iyan na maayos at matagumpay!

In reply to Alexander Paul Tumaliuan

Hello, Apollo! I'm also looking forward to learning more about the responsibilities we'll have as future nurses, and hone the skills we need for the workfield. I hope that we may both be able to implement these nursing interventions well, through careful guidance and supplemental materials!

In reply to First post

by Jana Roz Botardo -
The moment I have completed the N10 course, I have acquired a greater drive in learning the Nursing courses, thus I naturally look forward to finishing this N11 course. Honestly speaking, I have fears of making mistakes in implementing nursing skills, such as injecting or inserting a catheter, but my fears only drive me to give my full focus and effort at all times, as mistakes can happen at any time. Aside from what I have mentioned, I expect for this course to sharpen my skills in handling patients and in practicing the values and ethics of a Nurse. I expect myself to improve holistically as a student nurse, through this course. It also helps that the professors are already familiar, as it creates more connection and interest of topics for me.

Good luck everyone!!
In reply to Jana Roz Botardo

Hi, Jana!

I personally agree that injecting and inserting a catheter are terrifying tasks especially given the pain that it could bring to the patients. However, as your former clinicals groupmate, I believe that you'll be able to successfully conduct these tasks with the capabilities that you have and with your dedication as proven by your statements above. Good luck!! :DD
In reply to Kathleen Joy Bernardo

by Jana Roz Botardo -
I'm glad you relate to my answer, let's both do our best in inserting catheters hahaha!

by Jamie Rafaella Gutierrez -
I share your fear of implementing new nursing skills, Jana! As a person who fears injections, specifically, I understand the worries that might come in reaching the competencies laid out by N11, but I hope to conquer these fears with you and our batch mates. Good luck to us, Jana !
In reply to Jamie Rafaella Gutierrez

by Jana Roz Botardo -
Same with you, Jamie! As long as we can reach out to each other in our batch, there will always be hope. I'm glad you share the same sentiments with me when it comes to teamwork and cooperation.

by Keona Malia Solmoro -
Hi Jana!

I share your fears in making mistakes and like how you use these fears to empower yourself. You inspire me to view things similarly instead of breaking down in worry and regret when I make my own mistakes. Goodluck to you too!!
In reply to Keona Malia Solmoro

by Jana Roz Botardo -
May you become stronger in every start of a new course. As long as we practice and take into mind our core values, then we can pass through any obstacle as a student nurse!
In reply to First post

by Sandylene Orpilla -
With hopes: Through Nursing Foundations II, I aim to expand the core knowledge and skills I have acquired from the previous foundation courses and put these to use in community and clinical settings, particularly in PGH, where patients require more complex treatments.

With fears: Failure will always be something I fear. While the fear of failing this subject is present, I am more fearful of failing to care for my patients in the same manner that they are supposed to be cared for. I fear compromising my patients' health, in particular, since the interventions covered in Nursing Foundations II extend beyond Health Promotion and Education and are directed even at unhealthy individuals. If I am not prepared and skilled enough in the clinical setting, I fear that I will aggravate the patient's condition rather than alleviate it.

With expectations: This course is expected to cover more ground than N10 and be more rigorous, but it will also teach the more advanced foundational competencies required. I hope the fundamental skills I will acquire from this will provide a solid basis for the other classes I need to take in this degree program.

By achieving these aspirations, I intend to conquer my fears as well. After all, if I continue to grow my horizons and skills, I'll be able to provide the kind of care that my patients—especially those in PGH—deserve. To accomplish this, focus is required to master these increasingly complex competencies; without focus, these learnings would never be instilled in my manus, caput, and cor. Effective time management is further crucial to guarantee that I will not be left behind on any topics and acquire all the necessary knowledge and skills in a timely and efficient way.
In reply to Sandylene Orpilla

by Eron Martin Zabayle -

I agree with you Sandy! Although time management is easily said than done, we should learn how to develop this skill to survive this journey and to efficiently share one's talents and skills to our colleagues and most importantly to our patients. 

Along with Eron's belief in time-management, I also believe that focus is so hard to achieve, especially when you have fears bottling up you emotions and mind. But indeed, we need both to have a better grasp not just in the lessons but especially in the practical skills we will be learning in N11. I hope you continue to conquer and control your fear, Sandy, I believe in you!

Hi Sandy! I appreciate how you are so mindful of your patients' welfare! The fear of making a mistake is inevitable, but I know that a strong-willed person like you can confidently apply the learnings we will gain. Let's take it one step at a time and grow as we go.
In reply to First post

In this course, as its name depicts, I expect it to be a strong foundation in honing my knowledge and skills as a future nurse. Here, I look forward to the opportunities and unique experiences that it can offer, providing me a new perspective and proactive mindset to help build an effective healthcare system. Even though certain fears may be present, such as the fear of failing the class, I hope to finish this course with a sense of accomplishment and confidence in my capabilities.

To conquer my fears, I will start by listening properly in every discussion given that every skill that I will do relies heavily on the theoretical concepts that support it. Then, I will do my best in training the activities and interventions, keeping in mind that every mistake could equal the life of a patient. Lastly, I will ensure to always practice the core values as it encompasses the standards of being a good nurse.

by Beatrice Arzadon -
I agree with you, Kathleen! Listening properly in class discussions may seem like a small thing, but, apart from self-studying, it is what actually sharpens a student's mind: Indeed, small things contribute to big ones.

by Jana Roz Botardo -
Thank you for the insights! I do agree that we students should continue to practice the core values of our college, as like I have mentioned in my reflection, these values will indeed train us to be great and holistic nurses. Well-said Kathleen, good luck!

by Ayumi Bonajos -
Hi kath!

I agree with your mentality, kath! Designating a wanted result for the future makes the journey more steadfast and focused! With how motivated you are to practice and encompass standards of what a "good nurse" entails, I undoubtedly am certain that you will do your best to learn as much as you can and pass this course with flying colors. You must be excited in the clinical duties to come! Fear always is present, but with such a sincere source of strength and inspiration, I think you'll be able to power through it! Best of luck always!!
In reply to First post

by Beatrice Arzadon -
Prior to delving into my responses, I would just like to reiterate that reaching the N11: Nursing Foundations II juncture of the UP College of Nursing’s academic curriculum, in itself, is an achievement. Although there are still myriads of nursing courses to go through, it is important to remember that small wins comprise milestones; hence, though minute, they are deserving of pats in the back and congratulations too. 

It is a given to expect that this course will be difficult - not for no particular reason, but to substantially foster and inculcate in us the lectures that we are to put into practice during the clinical experiences and mold us to be nurses who are able to live up to the college’s prestige and standards. In addition to that, one of my fears are the deadlines and requirements, although I am trying my best to hone my time management skills. I hope that my previous learnings will be enhanced and that my knowledge will be augmented. Above all, I hope that at the end of this course and as we progress to another one, batch Estrelya and I will remain intact and with integrity, collaborative with each other.
In reply to Beatrice Arzadon

Hi, Bea!

I agree that it is important to acknowledge every milestone and accomplishment that we had as they can give us the motivation to face the challenges in the future. I also agree that proper time management is significant in doing tasks efficiently. Good luck!
In reply to Beatrice Arzadon

by Eron Martin Zabayle -

I like how you acknowledged that reaching N11 is already an achievement!! This made me more proud of us and more motivated to do well. 

In reply to First post

by Edward Pesigan -

Entering 2nd year, the course that I anticipated the most was N11. Recalling what I learned from N10, I understand how these courses serve as the backbone of the service that I will provide to patients as it is here where I will master the skills and intellect needed to deal with the multifaceted situations present at the field.

My hope for this course is to enrich me with the wisdom and grace to be able to skillfully be of service and to execute my duties with excellence and humility. On the other hand, I worry of not being able to maintain my compassion when the days where I'm tired and loaded with other requirements come. With this, I expect that this course will propel my level of nursing care to the best that it can be. Through fervor, consistency, and perseverance, I can be a proficient student nurse.

In reply to First post

by Carina Therese Palad -

As the new school year starts, I am hoping that I will pass the N11 course with flying colors and get a good grade. I am a bit afraid that I will go through a lot of challenges this semester, but I hope that these challenges will help me become a better student. I also expect myself to be more serious for N11 so that I can move on to the next semester without taking removals. I plan to achieve my hopes and dreams by focusing on the course and dedicating my time to understand the lessons. 

In reply to Carina Therese Palad

by Renee Ashley Calata -
Hi, Therese!

I am rooting for you! Kaya mo 'yan!If things get heavy, do not hesitate to seek help and reach out to our batchmates. Kaya mo 'yan! :)
In reply to First post

Re: Self-Reflect

As we begin to tackle N11, I am filled with so much hopes, fears, and expectations as this course plays a pivotal role in laying the groundwork and shaping the fundamental qualities of the nurse we will become. Reflecting on our experience with Nursing Foundations I, I anticipate that N11 will build upon that foundation, challenging us to connect our knowledge to new and advanced concepts, topics, skills, and abilities essential for the clinical setting. 

Having a glimpse of the course syllabus for N11 made me realize that the course will be more challenging and difficult than its predecessor, as it not only builds on what we've learned but also integrates complex topics from pathophysiology, anatomy, and other core nursing subjects. Due to this, I fear that it will bring out the same amount of effort that N10 demanded or may demand even more.

Despite the challenge, I am hopeful that I will enjoy this course just as much as I did with its prerequisite I hope that N11 will not only deepen my understanding of various nursing topics but also enhance my skills, enabling me to apply our lessons in real case scenarios rather than just in textbooks. Moreover, I look forward to the immersive learning experience that this course envisions, and I am determined to improve my performance in order to bring myself one step closer to becoming a competent nurse.

In reply to Mart Reynold De Leon

by Kasandra Ysabel Lu -

Hello! Glad to hear you enjoyed N10. I also hope that despite the complexities presented by the course, I will get to have fun in the process. I have no doubt that N11 will be demanding the same, if not more, effort N10 did. On the bright side, I know I have many others who are working towards the same goal of becoming a competent nurse. May this give you some measure of comfort it gives me. 

Hi Mart! I share your appreciation of N10 as the base of our knowledge in N11. I agree that this course may be more challenging as it is an elevated version to test our skills and knowledge in order to enhance them. I'm looking forward to you achieving your hopes. :>

Hi, Mart! Agreed, this course will likely be harder than the last, and requires a firm foundation from the last semester to add onto and augment our nursing skills. My advice is to lend time to review foundation courses whenever you have free time, especially when an anatomy/physiology or N10 concept is directly linked to a current or future topic. I hope you achieve a truly enlightening and immersive experience in this course!

In reply to First post

"Kaya ko pa ba matapos lahat 'to bago pumasok?"

This is that one line that lingered to me everyday as N10 opened my eyes to the "new" but the REAL world of nursing. Luckily, I have overcome anxiety's question in my head— we all did.

As we enter N11, the only constant expectation I have is that it won't be less easy than N10. The professors say that it is N10's continuation— enhancing and sharpening every knowledge I have acquired. With that, I expect it to be as strict and fully-loaded, but as guiding, patient, and fun like N10. I hope that in this course I will be able to learn and grow more as a student nurse after reading the new theories, seeing and knowing the real-life apparatuses, and experiencing what it is like to apply these knowledge while adapting in the Philippine hospital setting. I also hope to improve my skills more on how to give care to a patient— understanding the new concepts, their importance, and the risks of wrong administration— especially now that we will be meeting new complex clients.

But can I still do it this time? Will I be able to act up on every work given to me by N11? Will I be able to pass, even "just passing", again? I think this is one of the most important lesson I have learned after a year in BSN. I have started to accept that fears of failing and making mistakes will always be around but I have all the actions in the world to overcome it. What I fear the most now is being too logic and objective, not knowing I have already lost myself. I fear of losing the purpose of why I started to be here in my cloud of thoughts that I do every time I am in a hard situation. I fear of not being able to give— that slight assurance— smile have in every patient I will handle because I am too focused not to fail.

Despite all those fears, I have always planned to be the better version of myself. I lacked time-management, had clashing and ineffective study habits, and doubted myself a lot more than believing that I can. I plan to study more, read more, and connect myself more to N11, but I also plan to keep myself sane to be able to flourish in a good way. I plan to organize my time better, formulate fun study techniques, and value the essence of independent learning. I plan to give my brightest smile and keep the fire of purpose burning throughout this year and the coming years, even if it's hard. I can't stop anxiety in questioning myself in hard times, but I'll start celebrating small wins in this hard journey to activate joy.
In reply to Maria Carmela Sityar

by Marie Concepcion Soliven -
hi carms!! mistakes will always be around to help us be better and competent nurses. i can relate with being too objective, but let’s try not to be too hard on ourselves! let’s focus on our patients, get to know them by heart, because they will help us decide the care and service that will identify our potential as nurses. good luck on our future clinicals!!

Hello, Carmela! I agree with you on how N10 really showed us the side of how difficult yet fulfilling being a nurse truly is. I relate on how you get self-doubt in choosing this profession, but I know that with your mindset of improving time management can allow us to reach even greater heights this year.

by Coleen Margaret Obcemea -
Hi, Carmela! I deeply resonate with the feeling of having to compete with time, especially with the demands of various courses. But, at the same time, these also enlightened us on how fulfilling providing quality nursing care is. I hope that you still make time to care for yourself as well despite any setback. :)
In reply to First post

Nursing Foundations II will equip aspiring student nurses like me with the theoretical and practical skills required to administer quality care for our patients. My experiences in our 1st year have given me a basis on what to expect, and I believe I am more prepared to handle the workload this time around. The main challenge now is being able to maintain good study habits to fully cover the scope of topics necessary, lend time to hone my practical skills, and maintain a balance between studying for the different courses offered this semester. Having no prior background in administering medicine/vaccines through the IA, ID, IM, and SubQ routes, I suppose my greatest challenge will be learning the practical skills through a mix of youtube videos and face-to-face demonstrations, as well as being able to apply this knowledge to a clinical setting. I am excited to learn more about this field and further build upon the foundations of nursing that we have already learned, and I am sincerely hoping for a fruitful and insightful experience in this course.

In reply to Rachelle Joy Cabugsa

Hi Elle! Your hopes, fears, and expectations are greatly relatable for a student who's still finding a good study habit that works for me. I agree that most of us has no prior background in administering medicines therefore this would be one of the greatest challenge in this course. I'm looking forward to you achieving your hopes!:>

Hi, Elle! I agree with you that developing good study habits is crucial for managing our workload now. It can be challenging to maintain, but I hope both of us can achieve it this time, so we can improve not only our grades but also ourselves.

by Kasandra Ysabel Lu -

Hi Elle! I love the solid plan you have going for you. I also wish to maintain good study habits as not only is it good for N11 and all that it entails but it will also help us going forward. You are not alone in not having a prior background in administering medicines/vaccines. Cheers to a fruitful and insightful course. 

Hi, Mart and Djo! Thank you for your insights! It's liberating to discover others with the same fears and resolutions as me. I hope we may all discover the study habits that suit us best! Good luck with the course!

Hi, Mart and Djo! Thank you for your insights! It is wonderful to interact with students with similar concerns and backgrounds as me. I dearly hope that we may be able to consolidate our study habits and determine a learning style that best suits us. Wishing you all the best!

Hi as well, Sandy! Thank you for your input! It is reassuring know that I am not the only one with a lack of background in the medical field. I hope that we may flourish despite this and pick up many key insights! Likewise, I hope that we may be able to consolidate our study habits and determine a learning style that best suits us. Wishing you all the best!

In reply to First post

by Erica Ann Palermo -
After experiencing the challenges of adjusting to a new environment and learning vital concepts, the last academic year was indeed fruitful and insightful. The Nursing Foundations I course provided us with a comprehensive overview of the nursing profession, enabling us to plant our roots in this chosen path. Now that we are building another schema of knowledge, I am hoping that through nursing foundations, I will utilize the skill sets I have learned from previous clinical duties and OSCEs. I am also hoping to be able to make a meaningful impact on the community by engaging with my peers and instructors and maintaining a client-centered, pragmatic, and empathetic approach to patient care. As for the fear aspect, it is valid to feel anxious about learning something new again, such as hands-on practices, but I think that I am more afraid of not being able to challenge myself. Hence, for this course, I am planning to take one step at a time, learn the topics by heart, and maintain an open mind. For this academic year, I am vying to stay true to my “Why nursing?” which is “Always for the people.”
In reply to Erica Ann Palermo

Hi, Erica! I agree completely with your thoughts, this course is a learning experience for all of us. Our struggles are ultimately worth it to gain crucial knowledge that will help us become competent nurses in the future. I am glad you have a strong learning strategy in mind, and I hope that you may be able to overcome your challenges throughout the course!

In reply to Erica Ann Palermo

by Axl Mikhail Portus -

Hi erica! Finding the reason why you are committed to this course is a really good strategy that I also think helps a lot of the fears of the people in this forum, me included. It keeps us all headed towards the same direction regardless of the hardships we face as a sort of reminder and inspiration to push forward that can help us stay true to why we do this on the first place. This is a must read post for everyone here! 

In reply to First post

by Ma Veronica Lagadi -

“You’re not growing if you’re not uncomfortable."

This quote inspires me to embrace the entire learning process, even though it entails sleepless nights, excessive coffee runs, and countless self-doubts. As we start anew and navigate this school year, I hope we can keep this quote in mind to push ourselves to be the best we can be despite the challenges.

This semester in N11, I aim to enhance my skills as a student nurse by applying what I’ve learned and refining my knowledge and abilities, particularly in patient care. In addition, I am hoping that I will be able to learn all the pertinent concepts by heart as all these will be helpful once I become a nurse. At the same time, I worry that I might feel overwhelmed by the heavy academic workload and the fast pace of the lessons as the semester advances. Additionally, I fear that I might not see improvement in my performance compared to last year, especially during clinicals. For me to resolve my fears and achieve my goals this semester, I plan to be wiser in managing my time and knowing my priorities. I also plan to have the mindset of embracing the learning process one step at a time instead of striving for perfection, as this will just induce pressure on me that will eventually affect my mental health. Ultimately, I expect that my learning experience in N11 will be efficient, substantial, and highly productive through in-depth discussions, effective skills laboratory sessions, and improved study habits.

In reply to Ma Veronica Lagadi

by Aiah Ezra Ubando -
I do agree with this, Nica! Indeed, learning is more efficient if we have a mindset that is centered in growth and improvement.

by Alliah Capuno -
I like your idea of embracing and cherishing the learning process instead of striving for perfection, Nica! I also believe that no one can be perfect, but everyone can try their best.

Thank you for sharing that very inspiring quote, Nica! Indeed, we should not let our fear hold us back from getting closer to our dreams. I totally think that it is okay to be scared, and we just have to do it scared. I also agree that managing our time well and knowing our priorities would help us get through this course, as I might just that myself as well. I am rooting for you!

by Edward Tan -
I'm in awe of your mindset, Nica. You embraced your sufferings and saw them as a path to growth. You reminded me of a Masonic teaching that likens a person to a rough ashlar, gradually refined and polished through harsh methods. This ashlar would soon become the Great Temple of Solomon.

You will be great soon, rough ashlar! Wisdom!

I agree with you, Nica! Your quote encourages us that we encounter hardships in order to grow. Also, I am proud that you acknowledge your fears and plan to overcome them this semester.
In reply to First post

As another school year comes again, I will always find myself anxious about what is to come. However, I would be reminded by Martin Luther King Jr.’s quote, “You don’t have to see the whole staircase; just take the first step.” This quote would always remind me that life is continuous and it goes on. Moreover, all I have to keep in mind is to move forward, one step at a time.

Due to all the experience from the past semester, I believe that I have also committed various mistakes that placed me into difficult situations. However, this semester, I hope that I will be able to bounce back and properly execute the solutions that I have in mind. Aside from this, I also envision myself building healthy habits that will benefit me not only this year but hopefully as time goes by.

For this course, I expect to learn and fully understand the concepts that will be tackled this semester. Moreover, I expect to have a fruitful experience, as these concepts are the foundations that will be used as I become a competent nurse in the future.
In reply to Keith Jacob Villaruel

by Ma Veronica Lagadi -
Hi, Keith!

I love how you quoted Martin Luther King Jr.’s quote as it also resonates with us, especially in facing how difficult our line of work is. Truly, being able to acknowledge past mistakes while being committed to making improvements is helpful for one's growth. I do hope that you get to apply your reflections this semester!

by Alliah Capuno -
I share your fear of the uncertainty that each semester brings. It's admirable that you maintain such a strong growth mindset and commitment to long-term success despite this fear. Best of luck, Keith!

by Aiah Ezra Ubando -
I do agree with this, Keith! Focusing on taking the first step would open one's mind for more improvement and understanding.

by Edward Tan -
Your reflection invokes an existential insight, Keith Jacob. It echoes the notion that life is a series of becoming, rather than simply being. Beautiful isn’t it? Perhaps, the anxiety you experience can be seen through the lens of Heideggerian anxiety, which is not just a reaction to the unknown, but a profound awareness of the possibilities that lie ahead. This anxiety calls us to authenticity, which urges us to take this ownership of our choices as we navigate through the uncertainties of our existence.

Your acknowledgment of your past mistakes reminds me of the Socratic commitment to self-examination, recognizing that the unexamined life is not worth living. These mistakes are not failures in the traditional sense, but rather moments of negation or necessary disruptions that challenge and refine your understanding and character. In this dialectical process, each of your missteps propel you toward growth and self-realization.

The desire to cultivate healthy habits. Where habits, once formed, crystallize into virtues that define your character. This process of habituation is essential in shaping not just the actions of the moment, but the trajectory of your entire life. These habits are not merely practical; they are the telos (ultimate purpose), guiding you toward your eudaimonia (happiness, according to Aristotle).

Cheers!
In reply to First post

Self-Reflection

Taking Nursing Foundation I (N 10) during my 1st year, 2nd semester was challenging. It was my first time taking a course like that and navigating through something I have no prior experience with made me thrilled, anxious, and surprised. Now, as I go through another, I expect in this course, Nursing Foundations II (N 11) to improve and expand my knowledge regarding nursing skills as I deal with higher level nursing problems. I hope to firstly pass this course, apply the learned knowledge and skills during my clinical practice, and use them appropriately to my best ability along the way. However, taking on another challenging course worries and fears me from time-to-time. I am still afraid of making mistakes or failures in general. I fear that I will become burned out which always affects my performance and thoughts or mindset. With all the aforementioned in mind, I plan to achieve my hopes through dedication in learning the topics and practicing the skills several times, while I plan to conquer my fears through having my solid support system by my side and always reminding myself that fears and failures are normal as long as I do not linger on those and try to find ways to transform them into strengths and opportunities.

In reply to Jan Winston Karlo Lejano

by Elaine Nicole Guevarra -

Hello, Jan! We share the same sentiments. I, too, believe that with dedication and hard work, as well as with the help of a strong support system like our family and friends, we can truly learn and master the necessary skills in our level. Also, I really love how you still have positive mindset despite your fears and worries. I believe that you can do it with that positive attitude of yours :)!

In reply to Jan Winston Karlo Lejano

by Franchesca Ysabella Datario -
Very agree with how you feel about fear of burn outs, it really makes finding motivation to function difficult. But as you've said, let's not linger on those fears, bring failures as lessons, and proceed with life stronger and better. Rest if u must, Gian and thank you for this!
In reply to First post

by Jersten Aliniah Julian -

My experience with N10 was a blend of different emotions, experiences, learnings, and challenges; but one thing is for sure, it was ultimately fulfilling and enlightening. With that in mind, as N11 is a continuation of the aforementioned course, I am both excited and nervous. Excited, since I am bound to learn and experience new procedures. Nervous, because I am aware that these new procedures would be more complicated and meticulous than anything I’ve learned so far. Moreover, I think one of my greatest fears in this course is the fact that later on, I am expected to apply all that I’ve learned to real patients. In line with this, as I go through the course, I hope I will be able to properly absorb and apply all procedures expected of me. I hope in this course, I learn more and become better to be able to serve the Filipino masses and provide the best service I can give.

Furthermore, I believe that to concur my fears and to achieve my goals in this course, I have to be sure that I maximize the learning materials given to me and practice all the skills as much as I can. Surely, this course will not be a smooth ride, but I aspire to overcome all the hurdles and challenges that may come my way and continue to do the best that I can every session.

In reply to Jersten Aliniah Julian

by Gerica Mae Lim -
Hi Jersten!

I share your excitement as we embark on the N11 course. With a strong commitment to learning new skills and concepts, I’m hopeful that this semester will be both fruitful and enjoyable. May this course be another valuable opportunity for growth and learning, allowing us to contribute positively to the lives of our fellow Filipinos in the future.
In reply to First post

by Jeric Thomas Flores -
As an incoming second year in Nursing, it is only natural that I have higher expectations for myself compared to my first year. In Nursing Foundations 11, I want to be able to consume more material and work towards enhancing the knowledge that I use for the service of the people. I want to be of use to the people of the Philippines, as soon as possible. But I cannot deny that I have fears. I fear that I will not be looking at this course as a foundational course, but yet another subject to survive. I am afraid that I will lag behind compared to my peers. And of course, I am also afraid of failure.

But I do believe that it all depends on mindset. A mindset of a UP student, one of the most hardworking and service-oriented academic atmosphere, can bring them far. Like our fellow frontliners, UPCN students can push through the difficulties by remembering why we are currently in UPCN and why we are pursuing Nursing. And once we figure out why, the how will come naturally. Studying material ahead of time and earnestly absorbing information are currently the actions I wish to take as I learned from my first year. Anything that can be done early should be done early, for more time.
In reply to First post

Experiencing caring for patients in the hospital and serving not only as their nurse but also as their source of strength, comfort, and support in sickness towards health during my clinical duty in the first year, I await what is yet to come and what this course has in store for me, especially now that I will learn and master additional skills of a nurse, such as preparation and administration of medications, wound management, providing care and comfort to clients with more complicated health conditions, and more. As this semester progresses, I hope that this course will equip me with the necessary competencies that will enable me to provide the highest quality of care to patients coming from different backgrounds, having varying health problems and needs, especially in the context of patients in the Philippine General Hospital. Moreover, I expect that in this course, I will be pushed to think outside the box and be resourceful and versatile, enhance my critical thinking abilities, and demonstrate nursing skills and techniques beyond expectations. While I anticipate learning new skills and fulfilling the different demands of the nursing profession and the roles the nurses play, there is also this feeling of anxiety and fear of messing up, especially now that I will have more access to the patients, such as handling medications. However, with proper preparation, like studying and learning wholeheartedly the concepts, skills, techniques, and interventions, as well as reading additional resources recommended by the instructors and mastering these skills through frequent practice, I will be able to conquer my fears and avoid—at all cost—any errors as what is at stake here is a life of a patient seeking care, comfort, and recovery. With determination, courage, confidence, and adequate preparation, all these will be possible. 

In reply to Elaine Nicole Guevarra

Hi, Elaine! I love how you emphasized that during your first clinical duty, you served not only as a nurse but also as a source of strength, comfort, and support in sickness towards health to the patients you have handled. It is really commendable knowing how challenging it is to be working inside the hospital, specifically in the PGH. I hope you continue to bring this kind of personality and mindset ahead, fulfill your goals, your expectations be met, and your fears be conquered. As you said, all of these will be possible. Padagos sana!
In reply to Elaine Nicole Guevarra

I love how your expectations, hopes, and fears are all aligned towards the goal of providing quality care for your future patients. Keep this mindset and don't forget to enjoy the journey! Thanks for this, Elaine!
In reply to First post

by Eunice Alvarez -
In this second Nursing Foundations course, I hope that I am able to keep up with all that is expected from us. I fear that since it would be more difficult than Nursing Foundations I, I may experience burnout that may hinder me from performing the best that I can. Nonetheless, I expect to gain deeper knowledge and understanding on providing quality service to our patients. I also expect myself to improve and perform skills better than I did the first year.

To be able to achieve my goals, I plan on striving for balance within my life by allotting time for myself and my interests. While it is important that I am able to meet the expectations and responsibilities this course entails, it is vital that I listen to what my body tells me along the way. Through this, I am able to respond quickly to my needs and prevent the occurrence of burnout. This would consequently allow me to absorb and apply all the necessary learnings I may gain from this course.
In reply to Eunice Alvarez

by Francheska Jamila Barros -
Always dedicate time for yourself!! I also find it hard to focus when I'm tired, but it's helpful to find something that constantly reminds you of your purpose.
In reply to Eunice Alvarez

by John Michael Bondoc -
Hi Eu!

I agree that we must also give time for ourselves and our interests. This is one of the ways to avoid us from getting burnt out and for us to relax and rest. Let's do our very best and let's pass N11 with flying colors!
In reply to First post

As I begin this course, I bring with me the lessons and experiences from my previous nursing classes. Reflecting on the journey I had in the previous year, I recognize my shortcomings during our initial exposure to Nursing Foundations. Now, as we start this new academic year with Nursing Foundations II, I am determined to learn from those past errors. With this, my goal is to be more diligent, not just in completing tasks, but in truly understanding the content of this vital subject.

For one, I anticipate the Nursing Foundations II to be more complex, yet even more engaging. I am prepared for the increased difficulty that comes with each year of nursing school and I expect to encounter challenges that will push my potential to new heights. Furthermore, I anticipate that this course will further refine my skills and deepen my knowledge as a student nurse, particularly as I take on clinical duties, but I am also aware that aspirations alone won't get me there. To truly fulfill my potential, I need to face my fears—especially my anxiety during hospital duties. I plan to conquer this by dedicating myself to thorough study, going beyond just reviewing the material and to truly instill the necessary skills and concepts that I would need to fulfill my role in caring for my patients. By committing myself fully to this course and building confidence, I aim to ensure that the skills and competencies I develop translate meaningfully into every patient interaction I will have in the future. As the popular phrase goes, “never back down, never what?”

In reply to Austine Angeline Paraiso

by Ma Veronica Lagadi -
Hi, Austine!

I agree with everything you stated, especially the part where you expressed that aside from diligence, we should also strive to understand concepts by heart. As long as we can prepare beforehand and study efficiently, everything will follow—including improving our confidence and competency in the coming Nursing subjects. We can do this!

by Aiah Ezra Ubando -
Diligence is indeed what we need to survive this course. We must push forward and learn to never give up. Thanks for this, Austine!

by Alliah Capuno -
I admire your willingness to face the anticipated complexity of the course, Austine. We share the same fear—I also feel anxious during hospital duties, worried that I might do more harm than good to my patients. Let’s stay committed to building both competence and confidence throughout this course. Rooting for you all the way!

by Edward Tan -
If I may, Asutine. Your anticipation of increased difficulty [of N11} and your readiness to embrace it illustrates a deep understanding that true competence arises from overcoming challenges. You are not only preparing yourself for the technical skills of N11, but also cultivating the resilience and empathy essential for patient care.

The popular phrase "never back down" is the essence of your determination; however, I would add that in the context of nursing, it's not just about persistence but also about adaptability and continuous learning [perhaps, love for learning]. No doubt, your journey in N11 will ultimately shape you into a nurse who is skilled, compassionate and tenacious.

Understanding the content thoroughly is also my plan for this semester, Austine. It is because of that that I also believe that this course is vital. I hope we both enact these plans that we have in mind to achieve our potential.
In reply to First post

by Francheska Jamila Barros -
In this new semester, I hope to build on the nursing skills I've gained from my previous course. I'd love to build and strengthen the foundation of my existing knowledge and become more confident in my abilities. However, with this growth comes the fear of encountering unfamiliar information, which can feel overwhelming at times. I expect this course to deepen my understanding of nursing concepts and techniques. It may seem hard, but I believe by collaborating with my peers, managing my time effectively, and seeking support when needed, I can overcome these challenges and make the most out of this learning experience.
In reply to First post

by Edward Tan -

"You had no right to stop fighting for the sick patient’s life!"
— St. Luke the Surgeon

In the spirit of the Holy Hierarch’s words, my hope for this course is to learn how to never give up on a sick patient’s life, especially since the focus of this course is on moderately ill patients. I aspire to understand the true oikonomia (economy) of caring—i.e. agape (love) as the foundation of my care, rather than being motivated merely by the need to pass this prerequisite course and move on to the next level.

However, this hope is accompanied by fears. My greatest fear is that I might do the antithesis of my hopes—to abandon the fight for my patient’s life due to the inconveniences and academic pressures. I fear that I might treat my patients not with love, but with pride, hate and condescension.

This fear is an offspring of another fear, and that is me fearing one of my course instructors due to a painful history with this teacher, which has left me deeply wounded. That day a loving nurse within me...died. I am in constant fear.

Yet, these fears must not paralyze me. Action is required to overcome what would otherwise be the spiritual death of a genuinely loving and caring student nurse. As the Holy Father John Climacus wrote, "a proud soul is the slave of fear." Therefore, I will strive to be humble and obedient so that I will not abandon my vocation of care, and to better understand the oikonomia of caring. Embracing humility will also help me realize that the deep wounds I have carried since N10 can be healed through forgiveness. Though I cannot forgive this instructor at present, this does not mean that my capacity for forgiveness is dead forever. I hope to reach a point where I can forgive, so that the fear I developed from and associate with this person will not cause me to surrender in the fight for my patient’s life.

In closing, I make a promise to learn not only the technical skills of N11 but also the virtues that are integral to the nursing profession—humility (manus, hands that are humble enough to reach out), obedience (caput, a virtue reigning our wills), and the oikonomia of caring (cor, a heart full of love). With these virtues, my fears will dissipate, and I will come to understand what it truly means to "fight for my sick patient’s life."

Fear not.

In reply to Edward Tan

by Aiah Ezra Ubando -
I agree with this, Kuya Sho! With such courage and determination we could achieve greater heights and be the good nurses that we are.
In reply to Edward Tan

by Alliah Capuno -
Hi, Sho! Thanks for sharing this. Your determination to revive the loving nurse in you despite your experience is inspiring. Rooting for you!
In reply to Edward Tan

by Ma Veronica Lagadi -
Hi, Sho!

This is very well said. Having these worries is natural, and simply acknowledging them is a crucial first step toward working through them. I hope you get to foster your passion for nursing and work to balance your clinical skills with humility and genuine compassion.
In reply to Edward Tan

I am in awe, Sho! I also hope that this semester we will learn not only the lessons but also the virtues that make a caring nurse.
In reply to First post

I hope to strengthen my nursing foundation through this course by acquiring more advanced techniques and knowledge that will allow me to offer interventions for my future patients, addressing their holistic needs within my work scope. I also anticipate that this course will guide me toward becoming a more competent nurse by equipping me with the skills and insights necessary for my growth.

As this course is a higher level of nursing than the previous year, I fear I could not execute skills as I should, considering their complexity, which may lead to possible mistakes in the actual hospital setup and adversely impact clients’ health status. While I recognize that the more advanced nature of this course presents challenges, I am determined to overcome these fears through active listening and participating in class discussions or asking questions when necessary. I plan to always show up despite fears and complexities.
In reply to Franchesca Ysabella Datario

Hi, Chesca! I relate with you when you said that because of the complexity of the skills, you fear that you may not execute them properly or commit mistakes when doing so, which will jeopardize the health of the patient. Also, I love that despite having fears as mentioned, you are still determined to do the best you can. I believe that you will make a great and competent nurse :)!

In reply to Franchesca Ysabella Datario

Hi, Chesca! I appreciate that you highlighted addressing the patients' holistic needs within your work scope. It is essential to know our limits and boundaries, especially in this field to avoid any issues, unless urgent and necessary. Furthermore, always showing up despite of fears and complexities is such a brave move. I commend you for that. All the best!
In reply to First post

by Erin Brianna Lemi -
During the duty of N10, it was incredibly difficult to simply watch and not be able to do much about the pain my patient was suffering from. For this Nursing Foundations II course, I sincerely hope and expect to learn more things that can help me improve patient care. Strengthening the relationship I have with my fellow batchmates, stepping out of my comfort zone more, and getting the chance to interact with more patients are some of the things I am excited for as well. With all the new lessons and skills I will be mastering in N11, I fear for the responsibility I now hold as a second year nursing student. Exploring unfamiliar territories will definitely not be easy, but with determination and continuously believing in myself, this fear of mine can turn into something I will no longer worry about. With the help of my professors and friends, achieving things and conquering my fears in this course will be an easy feat!
In reply to Erin Brianna Lemi

by Julian Thomas Llantero -
Hello Erin!

Well said! After reading your thoughts, I was made to reflect once more and realized how we are really starting to have a responsibility for our patients' lives and how this course can truly allow us to provide the best care. It is only natural to have our own set of fears but through working hard with our professors, classmates, friends, and ourselves, we can surely conquer this course and achieve our goals one step at a time!

Thank you, Erin!
In reply to First post

by Lettice Jeazle Paulino -
Upon starting the N11 course, I find myself both excited and worried. After reviewing the course syllabus, I am looking forward to connecting what we learn in lectures to practical applications. Moreover, we've been informed that our range of interventions will expand, and I am excited about this opportunity of developing new clinical skills . On the other hand, I'm also worried about the increased workload and the thought of not executing clinical skills properly. However, I am determined to overcome these fears with optimistic approaches such as exerting more effort in studying and learning clinical skills, managing my time effectively, and constantly reminding myself of the reasons why I started this journey.
In reply to Lettice Jeazle Paulino

by Bernadette Prado -

Hi Lettice! 

I noticed that we have the same sentiments when it comes to our fears in taking this class. I do hope that we find effective ways of overcoming these fears and continue to excel in the class. Good luck!

In reply to Lettice Jeazle Paulino

Hi Lettice,

I totally understand what you're feeling—it's a mix of excitement and nerves. I'm also looking forward to applying what we learn in lectures. The increased workload and the pressure to execute skills correctly can be daunting, but I really admire your positive approach. Staying focused on why we started this journey and putting in the effort will definitely help us succeed. Let's support each other through this course—we've got this!
In reply to First post

by Ryanne Pauline De Leon -

As a second-year student taking Nursing Foundations II, I am eager to continue learning about the art of nursing, which I anticipate to be more complex and demanding, as it will involve concepts and tasks beyond just health education and promotion. Reflecting on my experiences in N10, I must admit that I didn't adapt or put in the effort I should have at that time. On that account, I hope to approach this course with more confidence and curiosity, applying the skills I am about to learn more effectively. I feel more determined to excel in both my academic and clinical responsibilities now, and I plan to balance these demands by managing my time wisely. While I do have a persistent fear of interacting with real patients in a hospital setting and the potential for making mistakes in such high-pressure situations, I will strive to stay composed and apply the knowledge and skills I will gain to the best of my ability.

In reply to Ryanne Pauline De Leon

by Yzabelle Dayrit -
Hi, Ryanne! I had the same struggles during the first year, and like you, I also feel more determined to perform better this year. Let's do well :))
In reply to Ryanne Pauline De Leon

by Jana Roz Botardo -
It's nice of you to share your experience with us. We all need to be driven with curiosity just like what you have said, and I personally resonate with your fear of making mistakes with handling patients. I hope we do well, Ryanne!
In reply to First post

by Renee Ashley Calata -
Hopes: After finishing N10, I hope to also finish N11! :) Aside from that, experiencing clinical duties in the past 3 months helped me understand what it takes to be a nurse. I hope that this course will help me understand what it means to be a nurse and the responsibilities that come with it. Aside from hoping for new learnings and experiences, I genuinely hope that this course will allow me to connect with my patients deeper and will advance my skills to be a great contributor in society. At the end of the course, I hope everyone moves to another nursing subject!!

Fears: Everything that we want is on the other side of fear. The fear of not measuring up. The fear of not keeping up. The fear of falling short. The fear of removals. The fear of not giving the best patient care in my nursing level. At the end of a tiring duty and/or a regular school day, I fear not being able to achieve whatever I have set out in my mind for this course.

Expectations: I expect this course to be more challenging and harder as stated by our professors. At the same time, I expect this course to push me to be a better student nurse equipped with compassion and service. I am looking forward to more fun, interactive, insightful discussions and return demonstrations with the faculty and with my batchmates as well.

Adopting a proactive and resilient mindset is necessary for me to overcome my worries and realize my dreams. I will be able to handle the course's demands better if I understand that every obstacle presents an opportunity for improvement. I am ready for challenging tasks, but I also hope that these experiences will help me develop my nursing skills and compassion. Surely, if I remain committed to my studies and keep an open mind, as cliche as it gets, I will be better able to make a significant contribution to both my area and society :)
In reply to Renee Ashley Calata

by Carina Therese Palad -

I agree with you, Renee! I hope that this semester will treat us well and that we can survive together :)

by Denmark Rivera -
Hello, Renee! I completely resonate with everything you've shared, especially your thoughts on the fears that come with this course.

The fears you mentioned—of not measuring up, not keeping up, and falling short—are incredibly relatable. In such a demanding course, it's natural to worry about whether we’re meeting the expectations set by both ourselves and others. The fear of removals, of not delivering the best patient care at our current level, is a powerful one. It's a constant reminder that we’re not just here to pass exams but to develop the skills and compassion needed to care for real people with real needs.

I think these fears also reflect our deep commitment to nursing. They show how much we care about our future roles and the impact we’ll have on our patients' lives. However, I believe that these fears, while daunting, can be turned into motivation. They push us to prepare more thoroughly, to seek out help when we need it, and to always strive to be better. At the end of the day, these fears remind us of the seriousness of our chosen profession and the immense responsibility that comes with it.

By acknowledging these fears and working through them, I believe we’ll come out stronger and more capable, ready to face whatever challenges come our way in this course and beyond.

Laban lang, bff! I know na kayang-kaya mo 'yan ! :)

Hi, Renee! Your reflection clearly shows that you are deeply committed to your growth as a nurse and are ready to embrace the challenges ahead. I particularly appreciate how you emphasized the importance of connecting with patients on a meaningful level—this truly captures the essence of nursing. Acknowledging your fears, which I share as well, is a brave and important step in preparing to confront the challenges that lie ahead head-on.

Your self-awareness and determination are commendable. By facing these fears, you’re setting yourself up to not just meet the demands of this course, but to exceed them. It’s evident that you have the passion and mindset needed to overcome any obstacles, and I’m confident that you will emerge from this experience as a stronger, more compassionate nurse. Keep moving forward, and know that I’m also here to support you every step of the way. We’ve got this!
In reply to First post

by Denmark Rivera -
As I closed my chapter as a freshman, I reflected on a period filled with both challenges and significant growth. I admit that the transition to the demanding environment at the UPCN was never easy. I encountered numerous obstacles, felt overwhelmed at times, and struggled to adapt to the rigorous pace and expectations. Despite these difficulties, the experience has been so rewarding and eye-opening. The practical learning and experiences gained, especially during our clinical duties in Nursing Foundations I, have reinforced my decision to pursue nursing. Sure enough, these moments of hands-on practice affirmed my commitment and passion for nursing.

Moving forward to Nursing Foundations II as a sophomore, I hope to deepen my understanding of nursing concepts and refine my clinical skills further. I also look forward to engaging in more advanced and challenging learning opportunities that will continue to test and enhance my abilities. The prospect of delving into more complex topics and honing my skills excites me, as I believe these experiences will be crucial in affirming my dedication to the nursing profession.

However, I must admit that I also have significant concerns about this course. My primary fears revolve around the exams, return demonstrations, and clinical duties that are crucial for assessing my proficiency. These assessments will undoubtedly challenge my ability to perform effectively, and I fear not living up to the expectations I have set for myself and those imposed by the program. To address these fears, I am committed to being more mindful and disciplined in my approach. I plan to meticulously prepare for exams and practice return demonstrations, drawing on the lessons I realized from my first year. While I do not expect perfect scores, I aim to improve my performance significantly, especially in areas where I previously struggled.

In terms of expectations, I anticipate that Nursing Foundations II will be even more challenging as it introduces more advanced skills and practices. I also expect the course to offer a deeper exploration of nursing principles and a greater emphasis on applying these principles in clinical settings. Most importantly, I expect for more engaging and interactive discussions with both my classmates and professors. These discussions will be instrumental in building a stronger foundation and enhancing my understanding of complex nursing concepts. The opportunity to collaborate with peers and receive feedback from experienced instructors is something I am particularly excited about.

To achieve my goals, I plan to stay organized and actively participate in all learning activities. I will seek constructive feedback from both my peers and instructors to identify areas for improvement and refine my skills. To address my fears and build confidence, I will engage in thorough preparation and practice, utilizing study groups and faculty support. By remaining disciplined and proactive, I am confident that I can overcome the challenges ahead and excel in Nursing Foundations II.
In reply to Denmark Rivera

by Renee Ashley Calata -
Hi, Denmark!

I relate to how challenging it is to adjust to a new environment loaded with expectations and demands + new nursing courses that are yet to test our skills and proficiency. Nonetheless, I am glad to see how you plan to rise above these challenges! :) Thank you for your input!
In reply to First post

by Yzabelle Dayrit -
During my freshman year, there were times when I felt discouraged and struggled more than I felt I could manage. However, I pulled through and I am now a sophomore. This year, I hope to learn more skills that go beyond health promotion, and I hope to perform these new skills with more confidence. I hope to be able to do more interventions for my patient(s) this semester. My fear of OSCEs and patient care mainly root from my lack of confidence, and I tend to be overly nervous even for tasks that I know I prepared for. I expect that this course will be more complex and demanding, but also more fulfilling, as I will be getting nearer to the nurse that I want to be. This year, I will practice better time management and make efforts to increase my confidence. With my increased confidence, I think that I will be able to perform better and without excessive doubts and fear.
In reply to Yzabelle Dayrit

by Ryanne Pauline De Leon -
It’s great to hear about your progress and goals for this year, Yza! Building confidence surely takes time and experience, and it seems you're on the path to achieving it. Just keep going!
In reply to Yzabelle Dayrit

by Jana Roz Botardo -
Nice, Yza! I see you have mentioned OSCE, and personally I thought I would overcome OSCE last sem, it turns out that OSCEs become somewhat harder and more complex. So I hope with great will and effort, we can accomplish these tasks together. Good luck!
In reply to First post

by Miguel Francis Tan -

In this course, I hope to learn as much as I could so that I may be able to further use the learned skills in providing better care for my future patients. Like any other, I fear that I might not be able to survive, nonetheless, this will not hinder me as I aim to do my best in this course. I plan to stay more focused during class sessions and review the lessons when I get time and also do the necessary activities needed so that I may be able to allot time for rest. Nothing is easy and our dreams will not simply come true without us having to try as hard as we can.

In reply to First post

As I progress through my foundational nursing courses, I anticipate that N11 will deepen my understanding not only through theoretical knowledge but also by emphasizing critical practical applications. While the thought of learning more complex procedures brings a sense of fear, I recognize that this fear is similar to what I felt last semester when first exposed to the hospital setting. However, I trust that the foundation laid by N10, N9, and N8 has equipped me with the skills necessary to perform hospital procedures confidently. My goal with N11 is to master more advanced and delicate procedures, such as IV computations and injections, among others, ensuring that I approach them with precision and minimize the potential for errors.

Additionally, I am eager to build on my ability to respond to new and different patient needs and scenarios, which is essential in providing high-quality care. I hope that N11 will challenge me (and it surely will) to think critically to respond accurately in various clinical situations, further preparing me for the demands of nursing in general. My ultimate aim is to not only perform these tasks competently but also to understand the principles behind them, enabling me to deliver safe and effective care that embodies the core values of UPCN.

I look forward to the new experiences I will have this semester. I hope to have fun while learning. <3

by Keona Malia Solmoro -
Hi Jaime! I share your feelings on feeling fear towards learning and implementing more complex procedures as well as this being the same as how I felt before our clinicals last school year too. And I realize that because we experienced last time we can have the assurance that we have done it before and we can do it again! Kaya natin toh beh.

by Jana Roz Botardo -
You are right, Jamie. We always have to bring our learnings from N8, N9, and N10 with us for this course. Like I also mentioned in my reflection, our nursing skills, yet still unrefined, will be sharpened and developed in this course and with the future courses too. Good luck to us!
In reply to First post

Question: What are my hopes, fears, and expectations in this course? How do I plan to achieve what I hope for, and conquer my fears?

Our Nursing Foundation I subject was one rollercoaster ride jampacked with many experiences, as it was the beginning of feeling like you are a nurse while in training. It was the beginning of learning better with experience and patient interactions. With that, I hope that with this continuation of Nursing Foundation II, I will build a strong foundation in nursing principles and focus on patient care as I develop practical skills that will prepare me for real-world nursing scenarios. For my fear, on the other hand, I guess being overwhelmed and not meeting the expectations that I set for myself are the ones that are in my worries. Moreover, I expect to grow as a nursing student or even a leader to gain confidence as I apply what I learn in real-world settings.

As I improve myself and try to adapt better, I can achieve my hopes and conquer my fears by having a better study plan with good study habits that work for me, being proactive in the clinical setting as well as with my classmates to continue to improve my skills like leadership, practicing self-care by knowing limits and giving myself rewards after a tiring happening, embracing or being open to opportunities, and staying resilient no matter what challenges I encounter.
In reply to First post

by Aliyah Bianca Caguioa -
Back in N10, especially during the clinical ward duty season, after those "make-it-or-break-it" moments, I arrived with a different truth than most of my batchmates albeit finishing and passing the course. So I tried to pursue it last midyear semester, but unfortunately, I was denied. While coming to terms with the thought that this path may be what’s planned for me, I have to admit that my hopes for N11 are centered around learning to embrace the program and finding confidence and clarity in my role as a future nurse. I hope to gain a more profound understanding of the nursing process and patient care. My fear is that its complexity of patient care might again overwhelm me. Moreover, I also hope that this course will reinforce the concepts and skills that I have learned in N10 with other previous N courses, solidifying my nursing skills. I’m hopeful that by the end of this course, I will not only be more competent with my nursing skills but also more assured in my capability to care for patients holistically. My goal is to emerge from N11 not only with enhanced nursing skills but also with a stronger sense of resilience and purpose, ready to continue my journey to become a nurse who can make a genuine difference in the lives of patients.

To meet these goals and expectations, I will embrace each learning opportunity with an open mind, actively participate, and seek guidance when necessary. Conquering my fears will involve embracing the challenges and uncertainties that come with learning. I plan to exercise self-compassion, acknowledging that mistakes are a natural part of the learning process, and to focus on learning from them rather than being immobilized by the fear of making them. In embracing this journey, I aim to move forward with a healthy mindset—acknowledging my fears but focusing on the progress I make each day, no matter how small.
In reply to First post

by Keona Malia Solmoro -
Pumasa na may pag-asa 😇 (sana)

I hope that in the lectures I’m able to pay attention and internalize what is taught to later apply them in the clinicals, and that in the clinicals I am able to learn and experience what the lectures did not cover. Ang fear ko ay NDx: Failure to pass course related to altered motivation and endurance and elevated “tinamad mag-aral” instances aeb burnout prevalence, “tinulog nalang” tendencies and “bahala na si batman” belief. I expect this course, like all the nursing courses, to be “ginagapang” hard but also very fulfilling, especially during the clinicals when we are able to work with our patients and better our care for them. To mitigate my fears and reach my goals, I’ll try my best to remember why I wanted to go into Nursing to begin with and use that as my fuel to go on and pass this course whilst being hopeful for my future career as a RN!

Papasa tayo ! (sana huhu)

Nursing intervention for NDx: We're all in this Together (0002027).

Sometimes, we do forget what our reason is to pursue this field, Keona. I do too! And I'll join you in remembering the reason in why I am here in the first place. Good luck, Keona !

by Jana Roz Botardo -
I love how your reflection shows your personality! It is hard to deny that clinicals are easy, but I guarantee as well that finishing this course is fulfilling. Let's take into account the importance of having each other and having a community in completing this course. I'm here to remind you that your classmates are always here to guide you in your nursing journey! Good luck, Keo!
In reply to First post

by Ysabella Marie Romero -

In the last semester, the clinical experience was the highlight for me, so I am particularly excited about the clinical opportunities this course will offer. I am most eager to expand my knowledge of patient care and enhance my skills across social, intellectual, and practical domains.

Having managed to pass the first year, I am naturally concerned about the increasing difficulty of the nursing program and whether I can meet both my own expectations and the demands of the coursework. While my primary goal is to pass this course, I also aspire to elevate my personal growth. I aim to refine my study habits and time management skills to make the most out of what this course has to offer.

Ultimately, I believe that this course will not only challenge me but also provide the foundation for becoming a more competent and compassionate nurse. I am committed to leveraging every opportunity to improve and look forward to the personal and academic growth that lies ahead.

In reply to Ysabella Marie Romero

by Jeneah Mei Teñido -

Hi, Ysabella! 

Since I worked with you last semester within the same group, I really saw how much you've tried to work hard to care for your patients. And now that we're preparing ourselves for our next clinicals, I hope we'll both do so much better (more effective and confident) than what we have done in our previous duty. 

Keep going, Ysa! 

In reply to First post

by Patricia Lee Chan -

Given that this is a foundational nursing course, my primary fear in is that I wont be able to master its topics; I’m scared I will become overwhelmed and have a hard time adjusting accordingly. Having said that, my hope for my self in this course is that I master and become confident on this course’s subject matters and build a strong foundation for my nursing studies. My expectation for this course is that it will be heavy and fast paced, but that it will include the resources necessary in preparation for exams. To achieve my goals and conquer my fears, my plan is to: (1) keep a schedule and stay on top of requirements, (2) submit assignments earlier rather than last minute, as well as  (3) determine challenging aspects of the course and allot time to review these further. 

In reply to First post

by Lawrence Miguel Inawat -
My first year in the nursing program has been full of highs and lows, but every turn has contributed to my development as a student and as a person who is always eager to help out. It was undoubtedly an exhilarating experience, since I am aware that I nearly failed a few of my exams. I am now prepared to go forward with pursuing my goals and objectives for myself in spite of all the difficulties. I already know that this second year will be difficult and that it will be full of aspirations, tension, and excitement. In light of this, I am hoping that this course will help me improve my skills as a nurse going forward and provide me with the knowledge to advance my career in both hospital and community settings. I want to approach this course cautiously, taking things one step at a time, in order to get over my worries and stop worrying about making errors. I promise to put forth more effort to improve upon yesterday's performance and grasp the material. By remembering my long-term goals and the fact that every little step forward counts, I will always find my inspiration, even in the face of challenges. In the absence of inspiration, self-control, and aspiration will undoubtedly take the lead.
In reply to Lawrence Miguel Inawat

by Michael Edrick Del Rosario -
You grit and undying passion is truly an inspiration to the UP College of Nursing, Lawrence. Indeed it is our duty to move forward despite the errors we make in the past, and it is even more our duty to better ourself not only for our academics or career, but for the people we will serve whether in the hospital or community setting. Again, I salute you brother.