What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Lucy Jane Gadaingan -
Number of replies: 0
  1. What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why? 

The ideal leader for the UP College of Nursing should possess adaptive resilience, enabling them to navigate unforeseen challenges in the ever-changing landscape of healthcare and education. This quality ensures a capacity to rebound from setbacks and effectively lead the institution through periods of uncertainty, such as shifts in healthcare policies or unexpected global health crises. Additionally, a commitment to collaborative decision-making is crucial, considering the diverse stakeholders involved in nursing education. A leader who values and encourages input from faculty, students, and healthcare partners fosters a culture of shared responsibility. This collaborative approach not only enhances decision quality but also ensures that educational programs align with the evolving needs and expectations of the nursing community, promoting a culture of inclusivity and shared governance.

2. Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial

Effective Communication is a critical leadership skill that is immensely beneficial for an academic institution. Clear and open communication from a leader fosters a transparent and informed environment, ensuring that faculty, staff, and students are well-informed about institutional goals, changes, and expectations. This skill facilitates a sense of trust and cohesion within the academic community, promoting collaboration and a shared vision. Moreover, clear communication is essential for addressing concerns, resolving conflicts, and providing constructive feedback, all of which contribute to a positive and productive learning and working environment.

3. From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

From the student consultation, a notable point that resonated with me is the concern regarding the heavy academic workload in the college. In comparison to my friends in other nursing schools, our workload, particularly the requirement for papers during duty, appears exceptionally heavy. I mean, the papers are really helpful when it comes to caring for our patients and i do not know how to properly take care of them and perform nursing interventions without those papers. However, while I acknowledge the importance of these papers in developing our patient care skills and performing nursing interventions, the weight of the workload is a significant challenge. It's particularly challenging when considering its impact on my sleep and nutrition. I believe there should be room for more flexibility in the submission deadlines for these papers. As someone who resides far from PGH, the additional time spent commuting further intensifies the time constraints. Addressing this concern is crucial for maintaining the well-being of students and ensuring that they can fully engage in their clinical duties with adequate rest and nutrition.