Activity 2

GUEVARRA, Elaine Nicole V.

GUEVARRA, Elaine Nicole V.

by Elaine Nicole Guevarra -
Number of replies: 0

ACTIVITY 2

Reflecting on the lesson.
Choose one concept in our lesson today, give a brief explanation about the concept, and cite how you would apply this learning in your everyday life.

Immunity refers to the ability of our body to resist or eliminate foreign or abnormal cells that are potentially harmful and may cause diseases. Our body has defenses already present even at birth called innate (nonspecific) immunity, which comprises the first line of defense, such as the physical and chemical barriers, and the second line of defense, or the internal defenses; hence, we are protected against abnormal, unusual, or potentially infected cells and other materials. In cases of infections, however, one of the body's reactions is fever, wherein the body temperature increases to intensify the effects of interferons, one of the internal defenses of the body responsible for protecting uninfected host cells from viral infections. It is imperative to understand the connection of fever to immunity as it is one of the defenses of our body as well as one of the side effects of vaccines, such as the COVID-19 vaccine at the time of the pandemic. As student nurses and future healthcare professionals, it is crucial that we learn these concepts so that we may apply them in our health teachings and educate and encourage our clients to receive vaccinations. For instance, in the story "Ang Kwento ni Rosario," one of the healthcare issues presented is the lack of health education regarding the significance of immunization, which is especially rampant in the impoverished communities and marginalized sector of society like Rosario's family. In the story, baby Rosario's siblings Jocelyn and Marites developed a fever after receiving their vaccinations, so her parents decided not to vaccinate her and the rest of her siblings for fear that the same would happen when, in fact, the fever actually speeds up the body's immune response and is a sign that the vaccine is working and is strengthening the body's natural defenses; hence, immunity is acquired. In my everyday life, not only as a student nurse, it is possible that I encounter people with the same mindset as baby Rosario's parents; therefore, fully grasping the concept that I learned in our lesson is a necessity as it will help me in providing proper patient education and combatting vaccine hesitancy.