Activity 2

PLACIDO, Nicole R. - Activity 2

PLACIDO, Nicole R. - Activity 2

by Nicole Placido -
Number of replies: 0

Activity 2

• Choose one concept in our lesson today, give a brief explanation about the concept and cite how would you apply this learning in your everyday life.
    • The concept that really hooked my interest and attention in this lesson was stress and immunity. As a person who somehow easily catches illness when I'm stressed, it's amazing to know how stress affects our entire system, influence our health, and our daily lives. 

The immune system is essential for protecting the body from illness because it keeps an eye on the health of each individual cell and fights against foreign invaders. The human body maintains a state of homeostasis, which enables optimal bodily activities to occur. The person's health is in jeopardy when this equilibrium is disrupted.

Psychological stress is characterized as the physiological reaction of an individual to events or pressures in their environment that exceed their capacity for adjustment. Everyone has experienced stress at some point, usually at a peak that allows for optimal performance and intensifying during times of urgency. After this peak, though, stress can exacerbate anxiety or irritation and make it more difficult to achieve desired outcomes. Long-term stress can cause physical signs of pain when the endocrine system reacts, as well as mental weariness and exhaustion. The sheer amount of work we were expected to complete in just three months after starting college was so stressful that it interfered with my sleep patterns, delayed meals, and my "personal" time.  It dawned on me that maintaining good health is just as vital as achieving academic success, as the stress I went through also increased my vulnerability to colds, fever, backaches, and headaches. I discovered that my immune system is something I should not take lightly because it can readily affect my general health and everyday tasks. 

After just three months of college, I already knew that, as a nursing student, it is expected of me to do well academically in order to provide my patients with the care they need in the future. But I also discovered that in order to accomplish that, I must first focus on learning how to manage the workload that comes with being a college student and strike a balance between it and other aspects of my life, like my social life, health, and happiness. I can't accomplish my goals and provide my future patients with the best care and attention if I compromise and put my health at risk. We are all under stress on a daily basis, and while not all stress is harmful, chronic stress can have negative health effects. Long-term stress management and prevention can reduce the risk of developing other illnesses, such as depression, high blood pressure, obesity, and heart disease. Resilience is the ability of the mind and body to adapt through effective stress management. The body might be on high alert all the time without it. With this, we shouldn't wait until stress compromises our relationships, health, or general well-being.