Activity 2

DAVID, Patricia Khae S.

DAVID, Patricia Khae S.

by Patricia Khae David -
Number of replies: 0

Choose one concept in our lesson today, give a brief explanation about the concept and cite how would you apply this learning in your everyday life.

As a person who is immunocompromised, I was able to understand more about our body's immunity. Immunity is our body's ability to fight against pathogens or foreign substances. It consists of two types of immunity: innate and adaptive. 

• Innate immunity does not select what pathogen or foreign substance to fight off and acts to all of it in the same way.
  • On the other hand, adaptive immunity is a specific type of immunity that performs specific responses to microbes that it recognizes. 

Knowing this made me realize how essential it is to keep up with our daily vaccinations and immunizations, particularly for immunocompromised individuals like me. Without vaccines, we are at risk of acquiring severe illness and disability from diseases like measles, meningitis, and pneumonia, in which some of these diseases can be life-threatening. Moreover, immunization is one of the best ways we protect ourselves and others from infectious diseases.