What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Justine Charles Ubalde -
Number of replies: 0

1. What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

Two crucial leadership traits for an academic institution are visionary leadership and adaptability. Visionary leadership is essential because it enables the leader to set a clear and inspiring long-term vision for the institution. This vision helps unite the academic community around a common goal, fosters innovation, and ensures the institution remains competitive and relevant in the ever-evolving field of education. A leader with vision can guide the institution through challenges and changes, motivating both students and faculty by articulating a compelling future.

Adaptability is equally important in the context of academic leadership due to the dynamic nature of education. Academic institutions face a constant influx of technological advancements, changes in pedagogy, and evolving societal needs. An adaptable leader can respond effectively to these shifts, adjusting the college's strategies and policies as necessary. This trait ensures that the college remains flexible and can seize opportunities or address challenges promptly, ultimately enhancing its resilience and sustainability. In an era of rapid change, leaders who are both visionary and adaptable are best equipped to guide academic institutions toward enduring success, especially given that we are a premier nursing school which is committed to produce and be leaders in the field of nursing and agents of change in the field of health so that the needs of every Filipino are met.

2. Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial.

Effective communication is a highly beneficial leadership skill for our college. This skill involves the ability to convey information, ideas, and expectations clearly and professionally to various stakeholders, including students, faculty, staff, and external partners. Effective communication fosters transparency, trust, and collaboration within the academic community, ensuring that everyone is well-informed and engaged. It also aids in resolving conflicts and promoting a positive institutional culture. Furthermore, strong communication skills help in advocating for the institution's goals, securing funding, building partnerships, and enhancing its reputation, all of which are essential for the overall success and growth of the institution.

3. From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

In connection with my answer in number 2 about communication, during the consultation, the idea that really struck me the most was that about more open communication and closer collaboration between the students and the admin. This is personally relevant and important to me, because as students of the college we are also affected by whatever decisions the administration will make, thus our voices and opinions must also be heard. Establishing a more open channel of communication can result in a deeper understanding of students' needs and concerns, creating an inclusive atmosphere where students feel valued as integral contributors to the academic institution. Furthermore, by involving students in decision-making, institutions can develop more inclusive and comprehensive policies and initiatives, ultimately enhancing the overall educational experience and fostering a sense of unity within the academic community, where the diverse perspectives and needs of all members are considered and respected, ultimately benefiting the institution as a whole.