What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Isabel Faith Ledesma -
Number of replies: 0

1) What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

Inclusive. I am looking for a leader who is considerate of the needs of their constituents. While catering to the majority may seem easy, addressing the people at the minority, left behind at the margins, requires an assertive and compassionate brand of leadership. Thus, I would like for a leader to hear the voice of everyone, foster diversity and inclusion, and work towards a solution for all. 

Adaptable. As fast as the political and social climate changes within the college, I aspire for a leader who is flexible to the ever-changing circumstances. Able to effectively provide conflict resolution, listen to grievances, advocate for their constituents, uphold academic freedom, and strive to address concerns as they arise is the type of leadership quality I want to see. 

2) Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

Decision-Making. Being an effective leader means making decisions that are critical and beneficial to the institution and your constituents. Without being able to make a choice, remaining complacent and agreeable with the opinions and decisions of others, one cannot stand their ground. The decision-making of a leader, especially the dean of a respectable college, is needed to be sound, unbiased, informed, and well-intentioned.

3) From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

Urgent Call for Improved Student Spaces: Creating a Supportive Campus Environment. The return to face-to-face classes highlighted an immediate concern: the escalating need for student spaces and resources on our campus. It is imperative to recognize that ensuring access to productive study and workspaces is not merely a convenience but a fundamental necessity on campus. Furthermore, providing conducive areas where students can destress, relax, and nourish themselves during breaks is essential for well-being and academic performance. Addressing these challenges requires a multifaceted approach. Firstly, extending the library hours and enhancing its resources could significantly alleviate the strain on available study spaces. Likewise, revitalizing and expanding the student lounge would create an environment conducive to both relaxation and collaboration. Adjusting schedules to allow for staggered use of facilities and finding innovative solutions for connectivity issues can further optimize the use of existing spaces.