What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Leonardo Vincent Placido -
Number of replies: 0
1) What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?
I believe that the leader of an academic institution, especially that of the college of nursing, should exhibit empathy and compassion, both in their interactions with students and in decision-making that affects the college community. In addition, a leader of an academic institution must be capable of holding themselves and others accountable for their actions and responsibilities. This promotes a culture of responsibility and continuous improvement.

2) Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial.
For me, a good leader should also be a good communicator. Effective communication is crucial for leadership in any setting, as leaders who excel in this skill are able to clearly articulate their vision and even inspire others to share in that vision. They must listen actively to the concerns and ideas of faculty, staff, and students, fostering an environment of open dialogue and collaboration.

3) From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.
One point raised which felt close to me was the one about the nature of the workload in the college. The lecture portion of our nursing courses are often crammed in just a few weeks, and as a result, we are left with no choice but to take in an overwhelming amount of information in a short amount of time. On the other hand, during our clinical rotations, we students are expected to submit multiple papers the next morning, resulting in us students regularly pulling all-nighters just to comply. I believe this is relevant not only to me but also my fellow students, as this kind of stress we experience on the daily does take a toll not only on our mental health but our overall well-being.