What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Rhadrian Raphael Resuello -
Number of replies: 0

1. What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why? 

Leading an academic institution requires a balance of fulfilling responsibilities towards the students, the university, and the wider community. In defining two of the most important leadership traits, I would say it is accountability and service.

Firstly, accountability, because I believe leaders should be able to own up to their actions and responsibilities. When one takes responsibility and is accountable, I believe that is the actual moment when leaders genuinely consider the risks of their actions or inaction. Furthermore, I also believe that accountability is a fundamental element of trust-building. When a leader consistently takes responsibility for their actions and decisions, it establishes credibility and integrity, which, in turn, makes it easier for followers, colleagues, and team members to trust the leader.

Secondly, service and I think this is something particularly important, especially in the context of a public university. As a college, we owe it not only to the students to provide them with the most optimal and quality education but also to the wider community may it be in the form of knowledge, policy making, or community programs and projects.

1. Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

One leadership skill that would be beneficial for an academic institution is good decision-making skills. I believe that although this is true for most settings, it is especially crucial in contexts and situations where resources could be limited or when an institution serves numerous stakeholders.

In the case of our college, for example, we work with a really tight budget that requires balancing and prioritizing resource allocation. Decision-making in this case is essential because we must ensure that the college's goals are met, under limited resources, without compromising outcomes. Moreover, as leaders in the field of nursing with numerous stakeholders, effective decision-making helps build trust and credibility which is essential for long-term success.

Lastly, I also believe that decision-making is of utmost importance, especially in highly volatile situations. Leaders must be adept at analyzing complex issues, identifying solutions, and making informed choices that align with the goals and values of the whole.

1. From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

One key point or idea that struck me during the student consultation was the general mental toll of academics on students. Stemming from the nursing curriculum, we have a lot of objectives and competencies to meet, which, for me, comes at the expense of student welfare. Although we understand the goals of the college, I believe that learning should not come at this cost. Numerous things can be done to alleviate this, including the provision of more accessible mental health and consultation services, listening to the concerns of students and finding ways to address them, and providing resources that will help them complete their education, whether in the form of finances or tools (e.g., nursing paraphernalia, books, and uniform subsidies).

Moreover, aside from the intrinsic factors that make fulfilling nursing education a challenge, I also believe that some issues are systemic. For example, nurses still remain underpaid, underappreciated, and exposed to unsafe working conditions. Opportunities that provide just compensation to meet our competencies and work are very limited, which I personally think adds to the stress and mental toll we experience, even while still in school.