What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Eritz Jan Acosta -
Number of replies: 0

1) What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why? 

Personally, the two leadership traits that I would like to observe in a leader of an academic institution are: empathetic and visionary thinker.

The first trait is the most important of all as it is already a given that the members of an academic institution are stellars, academically wise. That’s why it matters that a leader should be empathetic and is able to listen and relate to the needs of their constituents in order to foster a supportive and inclusive environment which is conducive for the students to thrive. Empathy on a leader allows them to recognize the diverse and wide array of challenges experienced by the students, faculty, and staff and consequently enables the leader to adjust the existing policies and initiatives to address the presenting concerns of the institution’s constituents.

Similarly, the visionary thinker trait of a leader enables them to see-through the surface-level of the presenting problems and visualize/identify the root-causes of such challenges which is also a crucial trait in strategic planning to create an environment that promotes academic excellence and innovation while safeguarding the well-being (mental health) of its constituents. 

2) Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

One thing that makes the job of leader of an academic institution tough and challenging is the decision-making aspect, to which a single decision may have significant impact/s on the lives (i.e. career, health and overall well-being) of its constituents. Oftentimes, there is no single decision that would solve every problem or that would benefit everyone, which entails that decision-making is a crucial leadership skill in an academic institution leader. Effective decision-making allows the leader to achieve a thoughtful balance between the competing interests & diverse perspectives of the students, faculty, and staff while carefully considering both the short and long-term consequences of a particular decision. Effective decision-making enables the leader to navigate through the complexity of their role as it assists them in advancing the institution's academic direction, crafting a conducive and inclusive learning environment, and actively responding to the needs and concerns of its constituents. 

3) From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

One of the key topics that I was able to relate to during the consultation was the financial burden I impose on my parents as a nursing student. While I appreciate the free education offered by UP, as someone coming from a middle-class family with a younger brother who is also in college, the costs associated with nursing school —such as vaccination fees, laboratory tests, nursing tools, and uniforms—can be quite overwhelming for us financially. This becomes even more challenging as there is a sense of guilt personally considering that I got delayed for one year, knowing that my family would have to financially support me during that time instead of me being able to contribute to my family.

As such, I sincerely hope that the dean can explore possible solutions to ease the financial strain on students, especially concerning vaccination and laboratory expenses as the money used to finance such procedures could potentially provide students with additional financial support or allowances during their stay away from their families.