What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Mark Eliezer Nalunne -
Number of replies: 0

What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

• Two crucial leadership traits I value in a leader or dean of a college within an academic institution are a pro-student approach and empathy. Firstly, a pro-student approach means prioritizing the well-being and educational needs of students above all else. This trait involves fostering an environment where students feel supported, encouraged, and motivated to excel academically and personally and emphasize creating programs, policies, and resources that cater to diverse student needs, promoting inclusivity, and enhancing the overall student experience. Secondly, empathy is essential because it enables a leader to understand and connect with students on a deeper level. Empathetic leaders actively listen to students' concerns, perspectives, and feedback, allowing them to make informed decisions that benefit the student body. They recognize the unique challenges and pressures students face, both academically and emotionally, and seek to provide guidance, resources, and support accordingly. This empathetic approach not only builds trust but also fosters a sense of belonging and community within the institution.

Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

• The leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution is compassion. Leaders who exhibit compassion show genuine care and concern for the well-being of their students, faculty, and staff. This trait is beneficial as it fosters a supportive and nurturing environment where individuals feel valued and understood. Compassionate leaders listen to the needs and concerns of their academic community, leading to better decision-making and problem-solving. They create a culture of empathy and kindness, reducing stress and promoting mental well-being among students and staff. Compassion also strengthens relationships, building trust and collaboration within the institution. Ultimately, a compassionate leader sets a positive tone for the entire academic community, enhancing morale and motivation, and contributing to the institution's overall success.

From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

• One key point that the students were able to raise is how heavy the workload is in the college. It is not a secret that nursing is hard, but it makes it more difficult because of the heavy workload, especially during clinical duty/rotation. Students are asked to submit comprehensive papers from NHH to NCP the day after the first duty, which can affect the sleeping and resting hours of the students. Moreover, the students are expected to perform well in their duties even though they have not slept, eaten, and rested. This is something close to me I experienced it firsthand, and I know how physically and mentally draining. I hope the dean will look into this and have better solutions that would meet halfway so we can have an academic environment where students have the opportunity to learn without sacrificing their health.