What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Chazzy Mariel Ramos -
Number of replies: 0

1) What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

One thing i would like for a leader of an academic institution to have a leadership trait is having empathy, especially for its students. A compassionate leader should be aware of the wants, needs, and viewpoints of their educators, staff, and students. This knowledge makes them better equipped to make choices considering all members' interests. This empathetic trait would help cultivate a climate of trust and cooperation among the community. This would promote a good and peaceful academic environment, enhancing teamwork and increasing a sense of inclusivity. Secondly is being an active listener. A leader of an academic institution must be able to comprehend the concerns and feedback of its students and staff. This would facilitate a better environment that would promote the holistic development of the students and staff. 

2) Name one leadership skill that will benefit an academic institution and explain how and why it will be beneficial. 

One leadership skill that would benefit an academic institution is the ability to build a team. Collaboration, innovation, and efficiency are all enhanced by effective teams in academic institution. Effective team will result in team members being more motivated, engaged, and capable of working together to accomplish academic goals despite having different viewpoints and complementary skills. It would help deal in terms of conflict crisis among members. This ability ensures the academic nstitution runs well, encouraging teamwork and a pleasant environment conducive for learning. 

3) From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

During the consultation, what struck me the most was the financial concern. Indeed, some things need to be procured for preparation for the next school year. I experienced the same thing as using my savings to buy vaccines needed for annual physical examinations. Although these are required for our safety, I still find them expensive. I think this is important for me as it became a financial burden, especially since things still need to be brought, like assessments or items required for duty. If this were handled, it would also be beneficial to assist students in obtaining the necessities without experiencing financial strain.