What am I looking for in the next Dean of the UP College of Nursing?

by Ma Abegail Aguila -
Number of replies: 0

1) What are 2 leadership traits that you would like in a leader of an academic institution and why?

In designating a leader of an academic institution, I am looking forward to someone who possesses the traits of being proactive and empathetic. Being a proactive leader centers on forward-thinking, especially on assessing the risk, its impact, and taking actions to prevent problems before they happen. The academe is an ever-evolving field, thus, it is inevitable that challenges go together with these changes. Leaders should assume great responsibility in safeguarding the welfare of its constituents such that it could adapt and thrive in this changing environment. Meanwhile, being empathetic is a trait that maneuvers equal awareness and understanding of the needs of team members. In a field composed of different sectors such as the students, parents, faculty, alumni, staff, etc; it is important that no group feels left behind. Achieving the goal of a successful learning and growing experience is rooted in an environment where everyone’s feelings and opinions are mutually heard and valued. 

2) Name one leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution and give a short explanation how and why it will be beneficial. 

A leadership skill that will be beneficial for an academic institution is having a good communication skill especially in resolving conflicts. Communication is a two-way channel, thus it is important that leaders should both be a good listener and speaker. Being a good listener is an essential skill in problem-solving as it allows them to assess the situation through hearing and understanding the different concerns of various stakeholders in an academic institution. Meanwhile, being a good speaker allows them to effectively relay the information to respective stakeholders. It helps them to organize their thoughts and convey their visions as well as proposed solutions in dealing with conflicts. Fostering these skills help in forming a stronger sense of rapport between team members. On top of these, a closer connection between the various stakeholders is a driving factor to efficiency and productivity in the conflict management of an institution. 

3) From the consultation with students, name one key point/idea/strategy that struck you or felt close to you. Give a short explanation how/why this issue or strategy is relevant to you.

One key point that resonated with me was the heavy academic workload in the college. Being delayed made me realize how much I’ve missed out on so many things outside academics, thus proving how much nursing school consumed much (if not all) of my time. The heavy demands of fast-paced lectures and multiple duty papers have put a profound negative impact on the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of the students. Although I recognize that all of these are essential for us to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to be an effective nurse, I also strongly believe that a successful learning growth and experience for a student is driven from a system that safeguards their holistic health and well-being. With these, I advocate and support a leader that will be able to propose and apply a solution that promotes a positive learning and teaching environment for its stakeholders. As a student, I believe that one does not have to be delayed to be able to experience the self-love and care that I am enjoying right now as all student nurses and faculty members deserve to be able to apply to themselves the same amount of time, energy, and care that we give to our patients.