Activity 1: MY STRESS RESPONSE

VELASCO, Zuriel Velasco_Acivity 1: MY STRESS RESPONSE

VELASCO, Zuriel Velasco_Acivity 1: MY STRESS RESPONSE

by Zuriel Josh Velasco -
Number of replies: 0

What body reactions or clinical manifestations do you often experience?

1. Increased heart rate with quick and shallow breathing

When I am stressed, I sometimes experience tachycardia and tachypnea. These clinical manifestations occur when stress is experienced by a person in which is then processed by the amygdala. When danger is perceived, the amygdala sends a distress signal to the hypothalamus. The hypothalamus then activates the sympathetic nervous system by sending signals through the autonomic nerves to the adrenal glands, which then the adrenal glands respond by pumping the hormone epinephrine (also known as adrenaline) into the bloodstream. As epinephrine circulates through the body, it brings about the heart beating faster than usual, rapid breathing, and other physiological changes in the body. 

2. Sweating

Related to the increased heart rate with quick and shallow breathing, sweating is also manifested due to the blood vessels dilating which is activated by the release of the hormone epinephrine into the bloodstream. 

3. Muscle tension

The same can be said in muscle tension, as this is also experienced due to the adrenal glands being prompted to release stress hormones like cortisol into the bloodstream.