ACTIVITY 4

PAJARILLO, John Anthony T. - Activity 4

PAJARILLO, John Anthony T. - Activity 4

by John Anthony Pajarillo -
Number of replies: 0

Note: Good day, class! My apologies for posting my answers in this forum discussion so late. I was setback last week by an illness that lasted for six days. I had informed our professors about this health condition and provided them with a medical clearance. I kindly ask for your consideration and understanding. Thank you.

Muscle 1: Orbicularis Oculi
Actions: Palpebral part - Closes eyelids and dilates lacrimal sac and Orbital part - Throws skin around orbit into folds to protect eyeball

Muscle 2: Zygomaticus Major
Actions: Separate lips. (Responsible for raising the corner of the mouth and producing a smile)

Muscle 3: Orbicularis Oris
Actions: Compresses lips together (Allows for puckering, pursing, and closing the lips)

Muscle 4: Buccinator
Actions: Compresses cheeks inward and against teeth (Aids in actions like blowing air and keeping food between the teeth while chewing)

Muscle 5: Occipitofrontalis - Frontal belly
Actions: Raises the eyebrows and creates forehead wrinkles

Describe the mechanism of his muscle weakness.
Bell's palsy is thought to result from inflammation and swelling of the facial nerve as it passes through a narrow bony canal called the facial canal. The exact cause of this inflammation is often unknown, but viral infections, particularly herpes simplex virus (HSV), are suspected triggers. The inflammation and compression of the facial nerve disrupt the normal signaling between the brain and the facial muscles, leading to muscle weakness or paralysis on the affected side.

What other symptoms could the patient exhibit as a result of facial muscle weakness?

• Facial Asymmetry: The face may look uneven due to muscle weakness.
  • Difficulty Closing the Eye: Weakness in the eye-closing muscle can cause problems shutting the eye, leading to dryness and potential eye damage.
  • Drooling: Weakened lip-closing muscles can result in excess saliva production.
  • Altered Taste: Changes in taste perception may occur due to nerve involvement on the tongue.
  • Hypersensitivity or Numbness: Some may experience altered sensations in the affected facial area.
  • Speech and Eating Difficulties: Muscle weakness in the mouth and lips can affect speaking and chewing.
  • Psychosocial Impact: Facial changes can impact self-esteem and cause emotional distress.

References:
Eviston, T. J., Croxson, G. R., Kennedy, P. G., Hadlock, T., & Krishnan, A. V. (2015). Bell's palsy: aetiology, clinical features and multidisciplinary care. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry86(12), 1356-1361.

Moore, Keith Leon, Dalley, Arthur F, Agur, Anne M. R. (2014). Clinically oriented anatomy (7th). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.

Snell, Richard S. (2012). Clinical anatomy by regions (9th). Baltimore, MD: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.

Tortora, G., & Derrickson, B. (2012). Principles of ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY (13th ed.). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.