Activity 1: MY STRESS RESPONSE

RABANG - ACT 1

RABANG - ACT 1

by John Marcon Rabang -
Number of replies: 0

We are continually exposed to situations and stimuli that have the potential to cause our bodies to react either favorably (eustress) or unfavorably (distress), making stress an unavoidable component of our everyday lives (distress). Because the endocrine system is a crucial aspect that influences how we behave, all our responses to stress are perfectly natural and appropriate. When I am under much pressure, in addition to having a faster heart rate and more awareness, I also feel more fatigued, have headaches, and want to eat all the time (stress eating). After studying the endocrine system, I discovered that all of these clinical signs are the homeostatic processes that the body uses to fight off the effects of stress. Our hypothalamus becomes activated and secretes corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) as a response to the stress that we are under. Following this, CRH sends a signal to the pituitary gland, instructing it to release ACTH into the bloodstream. The ACTH then makes its way to the adrenal glands, where it stimulates the production of various hormones produced by the various sub-sections of the adrenal glands. It causes the cortex to secrete glucocorticoids, a steroid hormone class. One of these hormones is cortisol, which explains why I have an elevated heart rate, persistent hunger, headaches, and other symptoms when I am stressed.

Tortora, G. J., & Derrickson, B. (2017). Principles of Anatomy & Physiology. Fifteenth edition; Wiley Loose-Leaf Print Companion. Hoboken, New Jersey, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Team, B. A. S. (2021, December 27). How Stress Can Make You Eat More — Or Not At All. Cleveland Clinic Health Essentials. Retrieved October 14, 2022, from https://health.clevelandclinic.org/how-stress-can-make-you-eat-more-or-not-at-all/