Activity 1: MY STRESS RESPONSE

SILVERIO, Rainne Ennkei Margarett_Activity 1

SILVERIO, Rainne Ennkei Margarett_Activity 1

by Rainne Ennkei Margarett Silverio -
Number of replies: 0

Stress is something that everyone experiences inevitably, regardless of age, gender, or race. The word "stress" frequently has a negative connotation in people's minds. Contrary to that, there are kinds of stress that are beneficial for us, such as “eustress.” Personally, when I have an upcoming exam, I have observed body reactions such as nervousness, increased heart rate, and persistent overthinking, and I believe that is my body’s way of reminding me that I have to act upon the stressor. Thus, compelling me to prepare early for the impending exam. And that’s how eustress benefits me.

On the other hand, as for my case, I often experience "distress,” or the kind of stress that is harmful, more than eustress. Whenever harmful stressors arise, I have noticed that I have an increased heart rate and breathing, increased sweating, a headache, and an alert mind, which occasionally causes difficulty sleeping and anxiety. With that said, I have learned how these bodily reactions are correlated to my endocrine system’s response to stress to maintain homeostasis.

At times of stress, our bodies attempt to counteract these stressors through homeostatic mechanisms. Whenever we are faced with such situations, our body’s fight-or-flight response is activated because the hypothalamus has transmitted a nerve impulse or signal. This then explains why our brains become highly alert, our hearts beat vigorously, and our breathing becomes rapid. As we progress towards the resistance stage, certain hormones are released to withstand the stressor even more. In particular, the hypothalamus releases the hormone CRH, which stimulates the anterior pituitary gland to secrete ACTH. And as ACTH is released, this will now stimulate the adrenal cortex to release cortisol, which is the “stress hormone” that helps the body resist stress and many inflammatory conditions. However, there are instances when our bodies are unable to handle such high levels of stress, which causes us to reach a point of exhaustion where we begin to exhibit symptoms of a weakened immune system and illnesses like asthma, migraines, hypertension, gastritis, etc.