Activity 1: MY STRESS RESPONSE

MAMAUAG, Erika Bernadette F._Activity 1

MAMAUAG, Erika Bernadette F._Activity 1

by Erika Bernadette Mamauag -
Number of replies: 0

Stress is a usual response to a demanding situation, especially uncontrollable ones, and the body needs to adapt. We experience stress daily that results in irritability. That is how I regarded stress before; I am irritable even about little things because I am stressed, which is why my family always avoids talking to me whenever they think I am in a stressful situation. I also experience headaches and fatigue. Although this may be true, a profound explanation of stress is understood through the Endocrine system.

The Endocrine System secretes hormones, a chemical messenger, that trigger a response to the cells to maintain homeostasis. The hormone Cortisol is the stress hormone that enhances glucose supply in the brain and substances for tissue repair. Apart from this stress hormone, Epinephrine and Norepinephrine are also yielded in large amounts, which leads to body reactions of heightened muscle preparedness, increased blood pressure and heart rate, sweating, and alertness. These are released to enhance the ability to respond to a challenging situation: the stressors. 

There are three stages for stress response, (1) Fight-or-Flight response, (2) Resistance Reaction, and (3) Exhaustion. Relating to what I have experienced, irritability is under the Resistance Reaction as I go through and resist the stressors; therefore, my body has a heightened response to my surroundings. Moreover, headache and fatigue are under the Exhaustion stage since it already depleted the resources that my body released during the 2nd stage.

In brief, the hormones responsible for stress response are the ones acting in the body, producing a reaction internally and externally. There are other clinical manifestations of stress, which differ from person to person since we have different ways of dealing with stressors. Some may acquire certain diseases by hindering the immune system functioning as a stress response; however, managing stress always starts within oneself through self-care.

References:

Felman, A. (2020). Stress: why does it happen and how can we manage it?. Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/145855#management 

Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. (2021, July 8). Chronic stress puts your health at risk. Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/stress/art-20046037#:~:text=Cortisol%2C%20the%20primary%20stress%20hormone,fight%2Dor%2Dflight%20situation.