Activity 1: MY STRESS RESPONSE

GUTIERREZ, Nathalie Bianca V. - Activity 1

GUTIERREZ, Nathalie Bianca V. - Activity 1

by Nathalie Bianca Gutierrez -
Number of replies: 0

Stress has a huge impact on how we go about our day, affecting our mood, behavior, and mental health. It can either be a good thing or a bad one. Eustress is a useful type of stress, usually causes us to feel motivated and have a positive mindset. On the other hand, distress does the exact opposite, which negatively affects our everyday life. When under a stressful condition, I sometimes feel more productive but there are also times when it makes my mind and body exhausted and causes my agitation. 

Stress response starts in the hypothalamus where the sympathetic division of the nervous system is activated. This division, along with the release of epinephrine from the adrenal medulla, is responsible for the fight-or-flight response of our body to certain stressors. Some of its effects are increased heart rate, metabolic rate, and blood pressure. Following the fight-or-flight response is the resistance reaction. In this stage, the hormones corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH), growth hormone-releasing hormone (GHRH), and thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) increase the release of certain hormones in response to the stressful environment the person is in. This stage is helpful in combating the stressor when the fight-or-flight response is no longer involved. However, exposure to high levels of these hormones for a long period of time causes exhaustion. This stage is harmful for an individual because it can lead to hypertension, heart disease, ulcers, inhibited immune system function, changes in mood, and other conditions.

Reference:

Tortora, G.J., Derrickson, B. (2014). Principles of Anatomy and Physiology (14th ed.). John

Wiley & Sons, Inc.