Activity 1: MY STRESS RESPONSE

ESCOSURA, Clinen L._Activity 1: MY STRESS RESPONSE

ESCOSURA, Clinen L._Activity 1: MY STRESS RESPONSE

by Clinen Escosura -
Number of replies: 0

Activity 1: MY STRESS RESPONSE

Every time stress takes place; the human body may experience various bodily reactions or clinical manifestations. These reactions may vary depending on how long we encounter stress. It can be a short-term type of stress or maybe a prolonged type. Hence, the responses may be categorized based on short-term and long-term responses. 

Based on the two  (2) categories, hereunder are the lists of the physiological effects that I would usually encounter whenever I experience stress:

SHORT-TERM RESPONSE

LONG TERM RESPONSE

• Increased heart rate

• Increased blood pressure

• Increased alertness (activated fight/ flight response)

• Rising metabolic rate

• Difficulty breathing

• Increased blood volume and blood pressure

• Increased blood sugar

• Suppression of the immune system (experiencing fever, fatigue, etc.)

As I study the endocrine system, I was able to comprehend that the short-term response occurs whenever  stress stimulates the hypothalamus to send nerve signals to the spinal cord. As a result, the spinal cord will stimulate the adrenal glands to produce catecholamines (epinephrine & norepinephrine) through the preganglionic fibers. On the other hand, the long-term responses arise when stress causes the hypothalamus to release hormones that would activate the corticotropic cells of the anterior pituitary to release ACTH. Subsequently, this will stimulate the adrenal cortex to release mineralocorticoids and glucocorticoids. 

REFERENCE: 

Marieb, E. N., & Keller, S. M. (2022). In Essentials of human anatomy & physiology (12th ed., p. 350). essay, Pearson Education Limited.